Old 23-01-2004, 01:04 PM
sneff

Default Neofinetia falcata

I was wondering if this species blooms off old or new growth (or both?). And
would now (mid-summer in Sydney) be a time when one could expect blooming to
initiate? I have only had this one for a few months and I am very exited, as
there is a promising green tip poking out between the leaves of the largest
growth, near the base.

Best, Matthew

Old 24-01-2004, 10:08 PM
prem_s

sneff wrote:
I was wondering if this species blooms off old or new growth (or both?). And
would now (mid-summer in Sydney) be a time when one could expect blooming to
initiate? I have only had this one for a few months and I am very exited, as
there is a promising green tip poking out between the leaves of the largest
growth, near the base.

Best, Matthew

Neofinetia are monopodials (like Phals and Vandas). They bloom out of
the leaf axils of just about any growth that is mature enough to
sustain blooming. Spring-summer is the usual blooming time for this
orchid, so your "green tip" sounds promising, indeed.

---Prem