Old 25-01-2004, 02:03 AM
J Fortuna

Default cutting spike part-way a second time?

Has anyone had any experience cutting the same spike of a Phal partway for a
second time to try to induce a third blooming off of a branch of the same
spike? Yes, I know the Phal needs to be very healthy, and in general it is
better for it to rest.

The reason why I am asking is because I have an orchid book that includes a
photo with the heading "This Phalanopsis has had two older bloom stalks cut
off and is blooming a third time from the same stem," and I was wondering if
a healthy mature Phal could sustain this without taking a major risk to the
health of the plant, or is this book (geared toward newbies) doing them a
huge disservice by even suggesting this?

I understand that the third blooming would probably (or even certainly) not
be as impressive as the first and the plant would not have as much rest and
thus the next spike might not reach its full potential -- but would it
significantly endanger the plant's health if it was a healthy mature plant
to begin with?

When I am asking this question, I am thinking about classic Phal hybrids
(classic whites or pinks), that's the kind that is shown as blooming for a
third time in this book. If I understand correctly for yellow novelty Phals
one shouldn't cut the spike at all, and they can continue blooming on
existing spikes for years, so this question would not apply there, I assume.

Joanna

Old 25-01-2004, 11:32 AM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

Well, Probably it could work with a phal that is healthy, but it always
comes with a bit of a risk. however if you do it and you start to see any
sign of problems you can always abort by cutting it off completely. Basicly
you should be able to cut off any part of the infloressence, just above the
sleeping eyes. That can trikker them to rebloom, even on the individual
branhes.
This is what I've learned, but must admit I only have two phal's and neither
are strong enough to attempt something like this., so I haven't tried it.
Cheers
Peter

"J Fortuna" schreef in bericht
news
[...]

Second flower spike - is this a problem? YvonneD Orchids 2 18-04-2010 01:42 PM
to let spike or not to let spike? J Fortuna Orchids 15 05-12-2005 03:38 AM
spike spike spike J Fortuna Orchids 2 04-09-2004 06:43 PM
Dendrobium Spike cutting? Roger Boughner Orchids 13 28-07-2004 05:15 AM
Cutting Phal. spike White Monkey Orchids 3 27-07-2003 04:12 PM