Old 30-01-2004, 05:31 PM
molli

Default Who We Are (revisited)

Who am I and What Is My Gender?
Molli, and I am female

Where am I?
In Colorado at 5471 ft altitude with lousy humidity.

Where do I grow?
In a small bedroom under 400 watt HPS light, also living room, dining room
and kitchen window sills.

What do I grow?
Catts, paphs, phrags, oncids, masdevallias (I hope), phals gongora and
brassavola. I'm sure there are others but I'm not upstairs to do a head
count.

The decade of my age?
40's and we'll just leave it at that shall we?

How long have I been growing orchids?
It will be 2 yrs in August, when hubby bought me my first two orchids which
I promptly killed! This annoyed me to no end and I got more, kept them
alive..got more....oh you know how it goes....

My biggest orchid accomplishment(s)?
Reblooming phals, catts, and oncids, and NOT killing my masdies!

Miscellaneous Info...
I have a husband, 3 daughters, 1 1/2 grand daughters (second is due in May)
and a zoo full of kritters which goes along with having kids. When I'm not
fussing over the O'kids, I love to read anything I can get my hands on,
including cereal boxes. Oh yea, in whatever spare time I have left, I make
porcelain dolls.

Hugs,
Molli

Old 31-01-2004, 01:32 PM
TU

"J Fortuna" wrote in message ...
Hey, I just located this thread from November 2001
http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...ptusnet.com.au
Kye had this idea of asking rgo'ers to introduce themselves a bit. I think
this might be worthwhile to revisit with current posters (and any lurkers
who wish to participate).

--------------------------

Who am I and What Is My Gender?

Tong, Male

Where am I? Where do I grow?

Inland Australia, S 36d 08' 11" E 144d 45' 04"
I grow outdoor in Spring through Autumn, and indoor in winter except
those which are cold tolerance.

What do I grow?

Just over 100 plants, mostly species and many are young plants: 1 each
of Dracula, Cattleya, Ascocentrum, Osmoglossum, Maxilaria, Neofinetia,
Miltoniopsis, Rossioglossum, Pleoine, Spathoglottis, 2 each of
Odonglossums, Coelogyne, Zygopetalum, Vanda, Bulbophyllum and
Psychopsis, and many Stanhopea, Aerides, Phal, Paph, Laelia,
Dendrobiums, Rhynchostylis, Cymbidiums, Oncidiums, Brassia, Aus Den,
Sarc, and Dockrillia.

The decade of my age?

4th

How long have I been growing orchids?

Since Oct 2000. Made a mistake by casually visiting the show at the
2000 Aust Orchid Conference. Bought 4 hybrids, Colm, Cym, Beall,
Brassia and pot them in garden mix when I got home but they hung in
there for the next few months until I realised my mistake. For some
reasons they survive and all have now bloomed.

My biggest orchid accomplishment(s)?

Didn't kill my first orchids.

Miscellanious Info...

Will continue to lurk. I post and read via Google, so don't do it too
often.
Saw and took a few photos of orchids in the wild in Cambodia in 1996.
Hoping to return there to see more orchids. One day, perhaps.

Cheers
Old 31-01-2004, 03:33 PM
Andrew

Who am I and What Is My Gender?

Andrew and male (last time I checked)

Where am I? Where do I grow?

Melbourne, Australia. In a shadehouse or under a pergola. I have a
Phal and a Paph indoors but generally if it doesn't like Melbourne
winters I won't give it the time of day.

What do I grow?

I'm mostly interested in terrestrials (particularly Australian
terrestrials) and Sarcochilus but I also grow Dendrobiums and
Cymbidiums with a few other cool growing epiphytes scattered around
the place.

The decade of my age?

Late 20's

How long have I been growing orchids?

About 6 years. Started off with Cymbidiums, which is kind of the done
thing in Melbourne. Caught the native terrestrial bug about 3 years
ago and have been mainly focusing on growing them ever since.

My biggest orchid accomplishment(s)?

Convincing my wife to let me fill up the living room window with
flasks

Miscellanious Info...

Married with 1 dog and a baby on the way. I'm about 1-2 weeks away
from submitting a PhD thesis. I also grow carnivorous plants.

Old 01-02-2004, 01:02 AM
Diana Kulaga

Okay, one more once......

Who am I and what is my gender?

I'm Diana, and I'm a W*O*M*A*N! I bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan,
and never let you forget...oh, never mind.

Where am I? Where do I grow?

South Flahda. Outside in two lanais and under the live oak. Cold weather
recently required the Vandas to reside in the guest bathroom.

What do I grow?

Catts, Phals, Oncidiums and their offspring, Dendrobiums by the batch, many
odd balls. Some Cyms, Vanilla, Brassavolas, whatever will tolerate our
climate. Always looking for something new.

The decade of my age?

I am of a "certain age"..........Okay, I'm sixty, and feeling thirty.

How long have I been growing orchids?

Just four years. Long enough to have a couple hundred of my beauties! And
long enough to be an engine of the economy: Needed a bigger lanai, needed a
better digital camera, needed a CDRW, needed new benches, needed fans, need
more orchids. New printer, anyone?

Miscellaneous Info...

Working on a novel. Content TBA, but it's about me, though in the book I
will be tall...... Have written training manuals for a variety of
populations. Married to gorgeous Frank, who puts up with me and now is also
addicted. VP of PSLOS. Motivational speaker in my recent, prior life.
Prior member of too many national real estate commissions than I care to
count. Three grown children, six grandkids. One cat, Casper the Friendly
Ghost, white with blue eyes.

Ham extraordinaire.

Old 01-02-2004, 08:14 AM
Reka

"Diana Kulaga" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
ink.net...

Ham extraordinaire.

Gee, we never would have guessed that if you hadn't told us, Diana! ;-)
--
Reka

I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

---

Old 01-02-2004, 03:57 PM
Ray

OK, my turn...

*Ray, male
*Southeastern PA, grow in a greenhouse for my own collection, rented space
for most "First Rays" plants.
*I grow catts, vandaceous plants, phals, paphs, bulbos, oncidiine
intergenerics of all sort, stuff from the
bollea/pescatorea/keferstenia/cochleanthes/huntleya group, oncids,
cymbidiums (mostly Chinese species), oddball species galore.
*I'm about two months' shy of 52, and have been growing orchids for over 30
years.

It's almost like I was destined to grow them: At age 6 I moved to Linwood,
NJ and was about 3 blocks from Waldor. I was aware of the greenhouses, but
didn't know what was in them. At age 10 I moved to England, and was about a
mile from a very large paph range, but saw nothing in them. A few years
later I ended up in NW DC, and the Kensington area was one of my high school
stomping grounds...again close to orchids, but didn't know it. As a junior
at Ga Tech, I started volunteering my free time at the public greenhouses in
Piedmont Park (now the Atlanta Botanical Garden). About a year into that I
started watering the orchid house, and ran into a school buddy, Roger
Huntington. I mentioned that I didn't know he was into orchids, and the
folks around me started laughing. Yep, his dad is Merritt, who owned
Kensington Orchids and was some official in the AOS at that time...

I was given a cattleya for helping out, and it only took me two years to
kill it, using the ancient oriental watering torture - alternating root rot
and desiccation - AND I DON'T KILL PLANTS!!!. (People at school called me
the "plant doctor," as I had a little business resurrecting the houseplants
they were killing. If I was successful, they gave me a few bucks, if not, I
kept the pot.) At that point I got determined to learn how to grow the
so-and-so's, and the rest is history.

I have also learned that I'm very good at killing plants...

Old 01-02-2004, 06:57 PM
Reka

"Ray" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
OK, my turn...

*I'm about two months' shy of 52, and have been growing orchids for over

30
years.

Well, Ray, *shy* is not one of hte words I would use to describe you.
Reading about your moves: this sounds like army brat?

Old 01-02-2004, 10:00 PM
Ray

Federal Government brat...

My current location is actually residence # 18

"Reka" wrote in message

OK, my turn...