Old 29-01-2004, 05:02 AM
J Fortuna

Default rgo archive search 101

Wendy posted the following message in thread "Who We Are (revisited)":
"Wendy" wrote in message
Hi Joanna, I am truly impressed with your searching abilities.
I tried to do one on Google but I get nothing?
Kye started this in ABPO & just about everyone in the group replied.
Do you use the 'advanced search' feature?
What do you type in other than the News Group.
--
Cheers Wendy (who is not a puter guru)
Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Wendy,

Ok, you asked for it -- sorry for the length of this reply but I really got
into it :-)

Thank you for the compliment. I enjoy Web searching. Some of it is more of
an art than a science, though. For example I think I stumbled upon the
thread "Who We Are" mostly by chance -- it is an especially hard thread to
search for since the title contains only common words that are actually
ignored by google :-) and it wouldn't have occurred to me to search for this
thread before I found it.

However, here are some Tips & Tricks for searching the archives of rgo at
groups.google.com:

-- start by typing in "group:rec.gardens.orchids" into the search filed in
http://groups.gardens.orchids and then make sure to choose the radio button
next to "Search only in rec.gardens.orchids" (under the search field) for
subsequent searches.

-- Generally the more relevant terms you know the easier it is to search for
things. Consider getting a book on orchids with a good glossary and index of
orchid terms. One online glossary is available at
http://www.orchidlady.com/gloss_wordlist.html. For example: spike,
inflorescence, "aerial roots", meristem, peloric, "seed pod", etc.

-- For searching it helps to know abbreviations as well as full names of
orchids. There are many abbreviations lists on the Web, for example:
http://www.theorchidjournal.com/abbrev.pdf or
http://www.orchids.mu/Glossary/Glossary_A.htm. Also see
http://www.users.bigpond.com/gmcorbin/bos/nomencl.html -- and consider using
common names such as "Moth orchid" or "ghost orchid" in a search (see
http://www.mainelyprints.com/index_g...rchidIndex.htm)

-- Synonyms, common misspellings, acronyms, verb/adjective/noun forms
related to desired term may help find what you are looking for. Also it
helps to look for any related terms that one can think of, so for example
one could search only on rec.gardens.com for: Sweden, Swedish, Oslo,
Stockholm, Dutch, Netherlands, Finland, Finnish, Scandinavian, Scandinavia,
Amsterdam, etc. and then "Sort by Date" (this link is available in
groups.google.com search responses toward the upper right hand corner of the
screen) -- to find some of the most recent Scandinavian posts on rgo.

-- Read as many orchid information sites and newsgroup posts as possible,
paying attention to what kind of terms are used for what, for example, a big
breakthrough for me was to find out what a "culture sheet" is, and that
most/all culture sheets use a combination of the terms light, water,
humidity, temperature, fertilizer (fertilize, fertilization, fertilizing,
or plant food). Also I have observed that a lot of beginners/newbies/novices
asking for advice/help, use words such as beginner and advice in their
question posts, and many of those posts have answers that are worthwhile to
review. So sometimes it helps to think of terms that could be used in the
question and not just the answer.

-- Very often when I find a post that is especially informative or funny, I
then search for other posts by the same author. One can use
groups.google.com Advanced Search feature for this, or just type for example
"author:barrett group:rec.gardens.orchids" in the simple search box, or
click on the link of the author's name in the post that you already found.

-- When I find a good post, I usually View Entire Thread, since there may be
other good posts there.

-- Now that I know that rgo was started in early June 1994 I am planning to
use Advanced Search with message dates in 1994 to see some of the early
posts.

-- In general I think that searching archives has certain advantages over
just reading current posts. Most of the questions/answers have been given
before, one has a larger pool of experts over the entire history of rgo than
just now, the questions already often have been answered so no need to wait
for replies, very few issues discussed in rgo are time sensitive (except for
announcements of orchid fairs for example). For lurkers I would propose that
reading from the current date back is almost equally random as reading from
the date 1/1/2002 to 12/31/2002. Try searching with different dates, and
then lurking in the past.

-- Sometimes I just feel like browsing this group's archives semi-randomly,
and then I might put in a semi-nonsensical search term in addition to
specifying the group (for example: verizon -- which is one of the Internet
Service Providers some posters might have used, and their email address will
be among the things searched). I often find worthwhile things in the
archives when doing such non-sensical searches. I am then just open-minded
about what I might find, and sometimes I am interested in what it is,
otherwise I move on quickly. Another idea search for "ROFL" or "LOL" and
then read the posts that the results are replying to -- this search
presupposes that one knows that these are acronyms denoting laughter in
online conversation.

-- Thinking outside the box is essential to good searching skills. One
anecdote from my own experience of thinking inside a very tight box: I had
for the longest time used Google's Image search only occasionally to find
free icons that I might put into Web sites that I design. It had not
occurred to me to use it to search for orchid species or orchid hybrids to
see their pictures until Al told me about this use of Google during my first
visit to Al's Greenhouse. Until then I had only this one use for this search
feature, and this limited my searching experience.

-- Read Google Groups Help: http://groups.google.com/googlegroups/help.html
and http://groups.google.com/help/index.html. Most users don't read help
files, which is a mistake in my opinion, since one can learn so much from
them.

-- Finally, don't get discouraged when searching, don't take "No Results"
for a final answer. A lot of good searching is based on perseverance and
experience with searching. And luck has some role as well.

If anyone has anything to add to this list of searching tips, please do so.
I do not claim to be the authority on searching, but I do enjoy searching
the newsgroup archives and the Web and I have found quite a lot using these
and similar techniques.

Hope this helps,
Joanna

Old 29-01-2004, 05:32 AM
Wendy

Why thankyou Joanna for the very explicit info. Some good tips.
I found what I was looking for in a wink!
I almost always search on the Google "Images" first just to see
what other peoples images look like, then if need be go to the web side.
You are so lucky to live close to Al. *g*
Thanks again, appreciate your help.
--
Cheers Wendy

: "Wendy" wrote in message
: news:tiQRb.5627$fD.4150@fed1read02...
: Hi Joanna, I am truly impressed with your searching abilities.
: I tried to do one on Google but I get nothing?
: Kye started this in ABPO & just about everyone in the group replied.
: Do you use the 'advanced search' feature?
: What do you type in other than the News Group.
: --
: Cheers Wendy (who is not a puter guru)
: Remove PETERPAN for email reply
:
: Wendy,
:

Old 29-01-2004, 04:42 PM
K Barrett

Joanna, may I reprint this in my newsletter? I may have to shorten it a
bit, but if you want to sign off on the final product I can email it to you.

K Barrett

Old 30-01-2004, 04:32 AM
J Fortuna

Kathy,

I am flattered. Sure, you can reprint it. Of course you may shorten it and
copy-edit it. I spent most of an evening brainstorming ideas for it, but I
did not spend much time at all on editing it myself. I don't need to sign
off on it as long as you don't think that there is anything in the edited
version that I might object to with "I wouldn't ever say that!" :-) I would
like to get the final version though. Thanks.

What kind of newsletter is it? Is it about orchids? Can one subscribe to get
it?

I am glad that you think that the tips are worthwhile. And I am glad to have
helped Wendy.

Joanna

Old 30-01-2004, 06:01 PM
K Barrett

Thanks! No I won't have you advocating porno searches or anything like that.
Much.. If at all. This would be for my local society, just small potatoes.

Old 01-02-2004, 11:14 PM
J Fortuna

One more search tip has occurred to me, when browsing the archives, I keep
seeing requests from beginners for an FAQ for this group. While there isn't
any such thing officially, but most of these requests for FAQs have gotten
replies pointing to some source or another somewhere out there. So I would
think that even knowing that there is no current official FAQ, it's still
useful to conduct a search for the term FAQ in the rec.gardens.orchids
archives. An example of this is Kenni Judd's response to Ruth's recent
thread "A newbie de-lurks", but there are lots of other responses to
requests for FAQ in the archives, some of them quite useful.

NOTE: I am giving this piece of advice only as a tip for searching archives,
I am not suggesting that newbie's stop asking questions and only search the
archives instead, I actually like to see newcomers asking questions here and
as others have pointed out this group is very civilized in answering
questions even if they have been asked many times before, and sometimes even
the same old question might bring on an interesting new answer, or lead to a
fun new tangent.

One of the things that I have come to appreciate about rgo is that while it
does provide a nice archive of knowledge, it is also a virtual community for
us to interact and socialize, including interactions between beginners and
experts, and beginners with other beginners, etc ... and that's pretty neat.
The only other virtual community that I have ever enjoyed as much as this
one, was MicroMuse, which I was a part of a few years back. Any other
MicroMusers out here by any chance?

Best,
Joanna

Flowers archive -=Skyman=- Texas 0 12-05-2004 02:09 AM
Flower archive -=Skyman=- Lawns 0 12-05-2004 02:09 AM
x-archive -- was: Couldn't be much more of a newbie Frogleg Edible Gardening 1 26-07-2003 04:03 PM
Flower Pic Archive -=Skyman=- Roses 1 20-05-2003 05:20 AM
Flower Pic Archive -=Skyman=- Lawns 0 20-05-2003 04:44 AM