Old 30-01-2004, 02:02 PM
The Enigma

Default Local garden store wanted $65 for a fragent Oncidium! Where can I fragrant orchids cheap on the net?

I went to my local garden shop and saw and smelled a beautiful Oncidium
orchid I loved it but when I queried as to how much it was that replied $65,
that pretty much shot down any chance of getting that orchid. But I would
like to know where I could get orchids on the net for cheap especially
fragrant ones. I also love eBay and have noticed some orchids there should
I explore that avenue or stay on the main path?

Thanks
Chris

Old 30-01-2004, 06:13 PM
Wendy

Default Local garden store wanted $65 for a fragent Oncidium! Where can I fragrant orchids cheap on the

Hi Chris, The local garden shops are always higher priced.
There is a "fragant only" orchid website out there.
Your best bet is to get a list of them & then search the internet for deals.
If you have the time & patience, find an orchid society in your area &
visit,
they have raffles & sales & very nice knowledgable people that grow in your
area.
Also if there are any shows on, there are always bargains.
I have auctioned for plants, you only get deals some of the time.
--
Cheers Wendy
Remove PETERPAN for email reply

"The Enigma" wrote in message
. com...
: I went to my local garden shop and saw and smelled a beautiful Oncidium
: orchid I loved it but when I queried as to how much it was that replied
$65,
: that pretty much shot down any chance of getting that orchid. But I would
: like to know where I could get orchids on the net for cheap especially
: fragrant ones. I also love eBay and have noticed some orchids there
should
: I explore that avenue or stay on the main path?
:
: Thanks
: Chris
:
:

Old 30-01-2004, 07:18 PM
Susan Erickson

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 08:24:43 -0800, "Wendy"
wrote:

Hi Chris, The local garden shops are always higher priced.
There is a "fragant only" orchid website out there.
Your best bet is to get a list of them & then search the internet for deals.
If you have the time & patience, find an orchid society in your area &
visit,
they have raffles & sales & very nice knowledgable people that grow in your
area.
Also if there are any shows on, there are always bargains.
I have auctioned for plants, you only get deals some of the time.

Let me add that some species are fragrant and not all members of
the species have the same intensity of fragrance. So if that is
your driving need, you need to smell the plant your buying. On
the other hand all Onc. Twinkle, that I have seen are fragrant.
Also all Onc Sharry Baby smell like chocolate to some and
something else to a few. Brassavola nodosa is sweet at night (in
the dark only). Zygopetalums and Rhynchostylis are normally
fragrant. What you like to smell, may not be what I can live
with. Make sure first. Some of these are very heavy scents.

SuE

Old 31-01-2004, 12:02 AM
Wendy

Chris, here are a couple of sites.
The first one is species & the 2nd is Roberta Fox's webpage with photos etc
of scented orchids.
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Recreation...dSNS/frag.html
http://www.orchidcentral.net/fragrantorchids.html

--