Old 30-01-2004, 08:22 PM
RPM1

Default A newbie de-lurks

Greetings fellow orchid lovers!

Last Christmas I bought a lovely little phal. I didn't plan on it. I
figured I'd go home with a Christmas cactus or somesuch. The
nursery staff assured me that I could handle caring for the orchid.
I was skeptical. I bought it anyway. Well, it has yet to drop any
of the flowers that it came home with on December 23rd! About
a month later I stopped by the nursery to get orchid fertilizer and
I ended up coming home with two more plants. Yesterday, I
was driving by the greenhouse and I saw a big sign "Orchids 50%
Off!" Well, of course I had to stop in.

So, I now have 6 assorted orchids. Two are going to need some
sort of trimming (I assume) once they lose their last flower. Would
you folks recommend a few good books for beginners? Is there a
newsgroup FAQ link so I don't pester y'all with typical newbie
questions?

I read somewhere that orchids seek to achieve a 45 degree growth
angle. Are there pots to accommodate this or do you just keep
re-potting them and straightening them up. Seems cruel if 45
degrees is what they really want. Why not give it to them - make
them really happy?

Ruth CM
upstate NY

Old 30-01-2004, 08:58 PM
Kenni Judd

The Ortho "All About Growing Orchids" is quite good for beginners. Taylor's
Guide to Orchids is also pretty good, with one caveat -- a lot of newbies
get caught up in the pretty pics and forget to read the accompanying text.
An awful lot of folks show up here with Taylor's in hand looking for
Miltoniopsis and other cool-growers that don't do well here in south Florida

There is another thread floating around [relatively current] about how to
access and search the archives from this newsgroup, in which you are likely
to find lots of answers to lots of your initial questions, but you are
always welcome to post them here. There are always new readers joining us
who haven't read those questions and answers before.

Welcome aboard,

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

Old 31-01-2004, 01:10 AM
J Fortuna

Welcome Ruth,

Be careful orchids are very addictive. It sounds like you are already an
orchid addict, so am I :-) -- and if you are looking for the equivalent of
the AA program for orchids, this is definitely not it, since most of us here
agree that Rob Halgren's rules are very reasonable (search the archives for
them if you have not already seen them here, Rob always puts them at the end
of his posts). Feel free to ask questions, this group is very civilized
about treating newbies seriously -- that's one of the things I like most
about it.

In answer to your 45% question, I had not heard any such rule before, and I
would be suspicious of any such specific angle claim. It is true however
that orchids tend to lean in the pots toward the light. You might consider
tilting the pot a bit if that's feasible. Most times that I have observed a
professional repotting orchids, they did in fact straighten them out. I
wouldn't consider that cruel though, orchids are very forgiving of the
faults of us humans, and they are also very determined to follow their own
ways no matter what we do to them -- thus for example trying to force aerial
roots into the potting medium is generally a loosing battle, but it does not
stop many florists from doing just that (personally I love aerial roots
going in whatever direction they please). Oh and another thing, staking the
orchid spike/inflorescence might be considered us trying to impose on the
orchid how to grow too, but very often if one does not stake the spike there
is a greater danger that the spike will accidentally break during watering
for example plus often an orchid with a well staked spike just aesthetically
looks much better to us humans. I am not very talented at staking properly,
and so one of my orchids that has a very strong mind of its own is just
plotting to bore a hole in the window with its spike sometime in the near
future unless I correct the situation soon.

Best,
Joanna

Old 31-01-2004, 01:32 AM
RPM1

"J Fortuna"
Be careful orchids are very addictive. It sounds like you are already an
orchid addict, so am I :-) --

My bank account will never be the same, I'm afraid. :-) It's
weird but I've become, dare I say it, whispers attached to
my plants - just the orchids. I can hardly go past the living
room without stopping to see how they're doing.

In answer to your 45% question, I had not heard any such rule before, and

would be suspicious of any such specific angle claim.

I read it here, right in the very beginning:
http://www.easyorchids.co.uk/repotting/phalaenopsis/

This grower is not too far from us. I think I'll pop by for a little
visit...
http://www.orchidsusa.com/intro.html

I hear the sound of my checkbook groaning in the other room.

Thanks for the response!

Ruth CM

Old 31-01-2004, 02:12 AM
Wendy

Welcome to our group Ruth,
I know how you feel, orchids do this to us!
My checkbook hasn't stopped groaning in ten years.
Pester away, someone will answer & you already have some
good advice.
When buying orchids always ask questions & tell the seller how
you are growing? eg. your conditions, window sill, what exposure etc.
I remember reading something about growing phals at an angle so
that when it flowers the spike is more upright. I experimented & the phal's
spike grew straight up?
--
Cheers Wendy
Remove PETERPAN for email reply

:

Old 31-01-2004, 02:42 AM
Susan Erickson

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 17:05:56 -0800, "Wendy"
wrote:

When buying orchids always ask questions & tell the seller how
you are growing? eg. your conditions, window sill, what exposure etc.
I remember reading something about growing phals at an angle so
that when it flowers the spike is more upright. I experimented & the phal's
spike grew straight up?

Welcome -
About 30 years ago I bought 2 plants when we went in Hausermann's
Orchid Range just to enjoy all the cut flower Catts just before
Easter. Then I joined an Orchid Society and meet a fellow who
liked to adopt newbies. In one weekend, like Wendy I went from 2
to 52. Most of the 50 new ones were back-bulbs from helping
repot his Catt collection. You need a mentor.

Back to the 45 degrees, I have never read that piece. But I have
seen several different articles suggesting tilting Phal pots to
make sure the Crown stays dry or drains after watering. I tried
it and found it easier to pot on an angle than to tilt the pot on
my shelves.
SuE

Old 31-01-2004, 05:02 AM
molli

Kudos time here...I belong to the same Orchid society as Sue, and I have
noticed she's VERY kind to the newbies (of which I am one) Never to busy to
answer my silly questions.Although I'm sure at times she wishes we would all
just go away. grin You need to find someone like her near you Ruth. And
welcome to the group )

--

Hugs,
Molli

"Susan Erickson" wrote in message
news .. You need a mentor.

Old 31-01-2004, 05:02 AM
Susan Erickson

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 20:44:53 -0700, "molli"
wrote:

Kudos time here...I belong to the same Orchid society as Sue, and I have
noticed she's VERY kind to the newbies (of which I am one) Never to busy to
answer my silly questions.Although I'm sure at times she wishes we would all
just go away. grin You need to find someone like her near you Ruth. And
welcome to the group )

blush Thanks Molli.
g It is tempting to agree with you about going away, but
actually I teach. It is part of who I am. Also I find I learn
from each person I work with no matter what subject or how new
they are.
SuE
Old 31-01-2004, 03:32 PM
Kenni Judd

The "tilting" of phals is for those growing outdoors where the plants get
rained on. It keeps the crown free of puddles.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com
news:EbDSb.6546$fD.4924@fed1read02... I remember reading something

Old 01-02-2004, 12:14 AM
Diana Kulaga

Hi, Ruth,

Welcome to Orchanon! tilting Phals, Kenni is right that it's essential
for those growing outside, but it doesn't hurt for folks who grow their
Phals out of the weather. I grow outside,but my Phals are under cover and
out of the rain. Still, unless you're super careful about watering and
drying out the crown, you can still get crown rot. For those with
controlled greenhouses, the fans take care of it, but for us peons, if we're
not careful the moisture still can puddle.

Welcome to our little virtual family!

Diana

What Lurks Under The Surface? Coffee's For Closers[_2_] Edible Gardening 1 22-05-2009 08:45 AM
A newbie de-lurks RPM1 Orchids 0 30-01-2004 08:22 PM
Roundup - Ssfe or not ? BUT WHAT ELSE LURKS John C United Kingdom 1 29-09-2003 12:26 AM
NEWBIE HELP: How to seed? Nick Thudick Gardening 6 01-04-2003 09:44 PM
Newbie Noela Orchids 1 31-03-2003 07:20 AM