Old 30-01-2004, 08:43 PM
samaki

Default Odp: international orchid experience?

Czesc !

I am from Poznan, I am sure you know it ) but here is a small info for
those who don`t know it : it is quite a big city, placed 300 km from the
capital (Warsaw), 300km from Berlin, 300 km from the Baltic Sea and 300 km
from the mountains.
The story about your grandmother reciving an orchid is really unusual. If
you could get some more iformation about that, you can write a nice story
and publish it on one of the polish orchid sites. Here are some adresses :
www.storczyki.org.pl , www.orchidee.prv.pl ( with a very nice gallery) and
on-line shops like www.orchidarium.pl (also with a nice gallery) and
www.orchidsklepik.pl
From what I know, orchid growing was pretty popular among the well-off,
before the II WW. There were orchid houses attached to the palaces. Some
polish botanists discovered and described new species, eg. Jozef Warszewicz.
Growing orchids at home is rather a new hobby, because obtaining them was
very difficult, but there were some commercial growers, selling cut
Cymbidiums or Paphs.

greetings
Martha

Użytkownik J Fortuna w wiadomości do grup
dyskusyjnych ...
Czesc!

I am Polish too, originally. Where in Poland are you from, Martha?

I grew up in Ozarow Mazowiecki, a small town about an hour from Warsaw. I
was not interested in orchids yet as a little girl when I lived in Poland,
but my grandmother, who still lives in Poland and who now has two orchids

(a
Phal and a Cym) too, recalls that before the war she knew a man who had an
orchid greenhouse in Poland (I think she said he got into orchids after
visiting Argentina), and he once gave my grandmother (who was a young

woman
then) a lovely orchid plant that had a terrible stench to attract flies.

:-)
But she loved the orchid corsage he once gave her, which luckily did not
stink.

Joanna

"samaki" wrote in message
I have been a lurker for some time so I`ll use the opportunity to show

up.
come from Poland, I am pretty new to orchids, I grow them for two years

or
so. I`ve got around thirty plants. It is relatively easy to buy unnamed
hybrids of Phalaenopsis, Cymbidium and Paphiopedilum so I have a couple

of
them. As for the botanical orchids, there are about three vendors who
organise imports from all around the world, I`ve bought from them nice
Coelogyne and Oncidium Twinkle. There are some Orchids Societes in

Poland
also, and up to ten exhibitions each year.

It is a great newsgroup with such nice people

good growing
Martha

Użytkownik J Fortuna w wiadomości do

grup
dyskusyjnych .. .
Reading the posts by Via (Hillevi P) from Sweden, I thought that it

would
be
really interesting if residents of different countries (or different

states)
would like to share with us a brief review of orchid cultivation

and/or
wild
orchids in the countries where you live in. I realize that we are very
fortunate here in the US: we have many vendors of orchids who we can

visit
or order from without needing to import from abroad, the availability

and
affordability of orchids has been improving fast (one can buy orchids

at
local supermarkets, at least in the many major urban areas), orchid

growing
is quickly becoming a very popular hobby.

I am always very interested to see glimpses of other cultures here.

AusDigi
has been posting photos of wild orchids growing in Australia on ABPO.

We
have a whole bunch of rgo'ers who come from all over the world, plus I

am
sure that many of the lurkers are from interesting places as well.

Even
within the US, the experience of growing orchids in Wisconsin is very
different from growing in Florida.

We have been encountering some of these cultural differences over

time.
recall one poster assuming that a question referred to orchids grown

in
greenhouse because where he came from people do not grow on

windowsills
(I
believe it was in Australia, I will need to check archives again). I

am
always a bit jealous of those of you who can grow orchids outdoors.

I think it would be interesting if you shared more with us what it is

like
in your nook of the world.

Joanna

Odp: Odp: ID needed samaki Orchids 0 28-06-2004 10:03 AM
Odp: An invitation to my updated orchid gallery. samaki Orchids 0 24-06-2004 11:05 PM
international orchid experience? J Fortuna Orchids 11 10-02-2004 05:32 AM
Odp: international orchid experience? samaki Orchids 0 30-01-2004 08:46 PM
Odp: international orchid experience? samaki Orchids 2 30-01-2004 04:32 AM