GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Brsdm with brown roots What color is normal? Need help. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/51464-brsdm-brown-roots-what-color-normal-need-help.html)

Pam 01-02-2004 07:49 PM

Brsdm with brown roots What color is normal? Need help.

This is my first posting to this group, I have been a lurker. This
has got to be the nicest group I have ever read. No nasty comments,
snipes, or ridicule of newbies. You guys are all great!! Hopefully
someone can help me. A week ago I bought a brassidium Wild Warrior
Chieftain. It was a "we tried to kill this orchid" from Home Depot.
It was in bloom, had new growth, and all the back bulbs were severely
shriveled. It was potted in lava rock and a plastic pot. I
immediately repotted it in bark and a clay pot. All its roots were
brownish tan, there are tons of them, they are firm, none mushy or
rotting. I assumed that the plant just needed more water. Since I am
a rank novice orchid grower, I thought the brown roots were probably a
species thing. So I planned on keeping it on the moist side. I have
watered it twice now since bringing it home. Now a week later, the
old shriveled bulbs, new bulb and some of the new leaves have a
brownish tint in places. It does not receive direct sun, and is a
houseplant not in a greenhouse. Is this plant dying? Are firm
brownish roots ok? I put it in a bag to increase humidity. Brownish
spots on new leaves, to much water/to little water? What do you think
is going on with this plant?