Old 02-02-2004, 04:32 AM
Pam

Default Questions about Brassovola nodosa fragrance

I have seen brassovola nodosa described as having a citrus aroma.
Does this mean it smells like lemon Pledge or smells like citrus
blossoms? Is it only the species that smells strongly? I have seen
nodosa "white heart" advertised and also nodosa "Little Stars". Are
these varieties more or less aromatic than the species?
Old 02-02-2004, 05:11 AM
molli

I have a nodosa which is not real fragrant, much to my dismay. I also have
a B. Little Stars (nodosa x cordata) which scents the whole house when it
blooms! I dont' know if its my cultural conditions, or if Nodosa just isn't
as fragrant as the hybrids.

--

Hugs,
Molli

m...

Old 02-02-2004, 05:11 AM
Wendy

Hi Pam, I just went outside to my g/h as I have B. nodosa 'White Heart' x B.
nodosa 'Panama Soiree'
It has the fragrance of orange blossoms but not as sweet or strong.
Are you going to the Costa Mesa Facination of Orchids next week?
I am going to try to go & wondering when it will be the least busy? Which
day would be best?
--
Cheers Wendy
Remove PETERPAN for email reply

m...

Old 02-02-2004, 04:33 PM
Pam

Thanks for replying. I have been tempted to buy a Little Stars
online, but I wanted to make sure it was fragrant. I have ordered the
Little Stars, imho citrus tree blossoms are intoxicating. I am in
Utah. If there are any orchid shows here, I am not aware of it. I
grow a few plants for my own pleasure. Their beauty has facinated me
for years. (I have the empty pots from the ones that I have killed
to prove it.) I just discovered that there are fragrant varieties. I
have a den. kingianum (gardinia) and neofinetia falcata on order and
am considering jumellea arachnanthe (gardinia) angraecum magdalenae,
(gardinia), and thrixspermum formosanum (heliotrope). Do you have any
comments on these species? I am looking for phal violacea bellina
Borneo (Zebrina) fragrant and phal hieroglyphica. These two phals
have seduced me. Unfortuneately, species plants are not as easily
found as hybrids.

"Wendy" wrote in message news:EGkTb.10676$fD.5106@fed1read02...
Hi Pam, I just went outside to my g/h as I have B. nodosa 'White Heart' x B.
nodosa 'Panama Soiree'
It has the fragrance of orange blossoms but not as sweet or strong.
Are you going to the Costa Mesa Facination of Orchids next week?
I am going to try to go & wondering when it will be the least busy? Which
day would be best?
--
Cheers Wendy
Remove PETERPAN for email reply

m...

Old 02-02-2004, 05:32 PM
Susan Erickson

On 2 Feb 2004 08:31:33 -0800, (Pam) wrote:

[...]

If your in UT - Shows near you.
March 13-14 - Denver Botanic Gardens - Denver Orchid Society
April 3-4 - Salt Lake Orchid Society Show - at the Botanic
Gardens there - I am not sure what there proper name is - for
informant ion contact Jim Coyner 1631 S. 75 East, Bountiful,
84010.
If Salt Lake and Denver are not near, your down south? - how
about NM? May 1-2 the Escalante Show which this time will be in
Los Alamos, NM. Contact Lois Dauelsberg, 1462 Camino Medio, Los
Alamos, 87544.
Rather go north? Helena MT is May 22-23.

Rather wait until Fall? Denver will host the AOS Members meeting
and HUGE show - 20 vendor sale - Oct 6-10. See the Denver Orchid
Society web site for details as they become available.

SuE

Old 02-02-2004, 06:35 PM
molli

Try OakHill for the Bellina and the Phal. Hyerogliphica. If it's not listed
on the website, drop Greg an Email. I know he has several varieties of
Bellina, and has Hyerogliphica, as I got mine from him.
--

Hugs,
Molli

"Pam" wrote in message
om...
Thanks for replying. I have been tempted to buy a Little Stars
online, but I wanted to make sure it was fragrant. I have ordered the
Little Stars, imho citrus tree blossoms are intoxicating. I am in
Utah. I am looking for phal violacea bellina

?

Old 02-02-2004, 06:54 PM
molli

Depending on your altitude, be careful of sunburn though...Even though
Nodosa loves sun...you CAN fry it to a black nasty crisp...been there, done
that, bought another plant...lol

--

Hugs,
Molli

Old 03-02-2004, 12:32 AM
Frank H. Kirchner

I am certainly not an expert however yesterday our society met. The
lecturer mentioned that there is tremendously variability in both the
intensity and the quality of the fragrance in Brassovola nodosa. Mine is
very fragrant but I would characterize the smell as more of a sweet perfume
than citrusy or orange-like.

He also mentioned one of his favorite scented orchids and easy to grow was
Brassovola flagillaris. I'm thinking about trying to find it. Anyone have
experience with it?

Thanks.
m...

Old 03-02-2004, 01:32 AM
Pam

I found Oak Hill on the web several days ago. They have lots of
plants I would like to have. I called them and the lady on the phone
said it was too cold to ship. She said heat packs don't work.... So
I just sent them an email asking if I could pay for extra heat packs.
I'll see what they write back. I might see about the Orchid Show in
April in SLC. I have a water garden business and from April until
August it's tough to make time for pleasure. Thats why orchids that
bloom in fall and winter are so wonderful. I put my plants outside in
the summer and last summer I had some grasshoppers eat bloom spikes on
some phals. You would think they would be safe up on a shaded deck.
But just this morning one of my cats ate the bloom bud from a young
yellow Christmas cactus that I had been pampering and begging to
bloom, so there is danger everywhere for blossoms.

Old 03-02-2004, 06:42 AM
Pam

From the Orchid Society of Nova Scotia
"The last brassavola that I will mention is Brassavola flagellaris. It
comes from Brazil. The leaves of this specie can reach to almost three
feet. They are thin whiplike leaves. The flowers are clustered in
groups of 3-8, and when a large plant is in bloom it is quite a
sight."

All the websites I could quickly find agreed it was fragrant, but none
said what it smelled like. I'm afraid this plant is to large for me.

"Frank H. Kirchner" wrote in message news:RZBTb.2006$Yj.1641@lakeread02...
I am certainly not an expert however yesterday our society met. The
lecturer mentioned that there is tremendously variability in both the
intensity and the quality of the fragrance in Brassovola nodosa. Mine is
very fragrant but I would characterize the smell as more of a sweet perfume
than citrusy or orange-like.

He also mentioned one of his favorite scented orchids and easy to grow was
Brassovola flagillaris. I'm thinking about trying to find it. Anyone have
experience with it?

Thanks.
m...