Old 06-02-2004, 06:19 AM
Wendy

Default Orchid Show in S.California

This to me is the best all round show that I have seen.
It takes up 3 levels in a mall & there are more than 60 vendors.

http://www.fascinationoforchids.com/ ..... a great web page too.

--
Cheers Wendy
Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 06-02-2004, 06:43 AM
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 21:56:14 -0800, "Wendy"
wrote in Message-Id: MVkUb.15241$fD.216@fed1read02:

This to me is the best all round show that I have seen.
It takes up 3 levels in a mall & there are more than 60 vendors.

http://www.fascinationoforchids.com/ ..... a great web page too.

I couldn't resist, and made the 10 minute ride to the South Coast
Plaza shopping mall. I soon learned that the show is being held
across the street on 3 floors of Crystal Court. Fortunately I was
parked near the bridge, so I got a chance for a walk in the brisk air
above the traffic on that nifty high-tech bridge. It was about 6:00
pm, so the crowd was moderate, and I found it possible to get a close
look at prospective purchases without having to wait too often for
others to continue perusing along. The dealers shelves were packed
for the after-dinner crowd, but they hadn't arrived yet.

The vendors are on the 2nd and 3rd floors, and the OS displays are on
the 1st. The variety of plants available was remarkable! I managed
to find 7 interesting reed-stem Epis: 2 minis (12") (a deep magenta
and a yellow), 2 unique Ecuadoran species, a Plastic Doll look-alike
(stamfordianum x EPC...), what looks to be an elongatum with smaller
day-glow indigo flowers, and a peach with yellow blaze Cal-Orchid
hybrid with 55mm (2-1/4") flowers!

It's a 5-star show. It's not often that I run across so many worthy
additions. Thanks for posting the notice.

Old 06-02-2004, 11:33 PM
profpam

I agree. Fascination of Orchids is a worthwhile show, probably even
ranking above the Santa Barbara Orchid Festival. Fascination of Orchids
is probably the only three floor show in the country. The reed-stemmed
exhibits, the abundance of cymbidiums in bloom which adorn the first
floor displays, and the wonderful Lycastes were excellent features.
Unfortunately, it is so easy to spend beyond budget with the abundance
of eloquent orchids for sale.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

-----------------------------------

Old 07-02-2004, 04:32 PM
Larry Dighera

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 15:32:46 -0800, profpam wrote in
I agree. Fascination of Orchids is a worthwhile show, probably even
ranking above the Santa Barbara Orchid Festival.

There is no doubt it is larger. The setting is more professional and
grand than the Santa Barbara Fair Grounds. And it's considerably
closer. But I find that each show provides an opportunity to meet new
folks, say hi to old acquaintances, and come home with something
unexpected. Now if I can just resist returning over the weekend ...

Fascination of Orchids is probably the only three floor show in the
country. The reed-stemmed exhibits, the abundance of cymbidiums in
bloom which adorn the first floor displays, and the wonderful Lycastes
were excellent features. Unfortunately, it is so easy to spend beyond
budget with the abundance of eloquent orchids for sale.

Budget? Being accustomed to wholesale prices (~$5/plant), I find the
"sticker shock" (~$25/plant) helps curb my show purchases.

So what did you purchase?

Old 07-02-2004, 10:02 PM
DVardner

I went for reed stems and was disappointed that some reliable growers in past
visits brought none this year. Of course. I bought two from Yamada's- a new
light pink and a white white that both sold out the first day. Going back
tonight to take some pics and tomorrow about 3 to see if there are any
bargains to be had.
Old 10-02-2004, 01:16 AM
profpam

Hi, Larry,

I purchased a bunch from Ecuagenera and others. Plants were at least
$25 a piece. Prices keep going up -- wages don't (We, however, have not
raised the price of the Everything Orchid Management System program
since conception -- only shipping).