Old 06-02-2004, 07:33 AM
Ben Lurkin

Default Wild life in flowerpots

I keep about 80 potted plants, some under lights in the basement and some
upstairs in living quarters in addition to 15 orchids. Most of them go
outside in summer. In summer I do a small organic kitchen garden.

I see a pot as a mini ecosystem. It should contain one or more plants,
growing medium and composting bacteria, a lot of small invertebrates and
sometimes even a little fungus, moss and or lichens.

When orchids are put outside, the pots become populated, as they should.
Most are beneficial to harmless. But, sometimes we get an unwelcome
visitor, often one that can reproduce rapidly. So it is important that we
identify what is there. [I am aware that disease can spread very rapidly in
any crowded population and that some gardeners want to kill everything that
moves.]

On repotting my mini cats I found some things that were strange to me. The
strangest was small, white, very hard, smaller than a pinhead, and round.
They were many patches of them on the bark, on the dead roots and on the
inside of the flowerpot. They were held together and to the surface with
white strands that remind me of fungus mycelium in compost. I think they
were too hard to be eggs or fungus, so I cannot guess what they might be.

Has anyone here seen anything like this. Is there a website that might help
to identify this and maybe an insect or two??

Thanks again,

Ben

Old 06-02-2004, 07:33 AM
Wendy

Hi Ben, I found this stuff in my orchid pots & did some extensive research.
I took a sample to our local Agricultural Dept. & they told me it was
Saprophytic fungi. They could not tell me how to treat it. There are
supposedly thousands of different types.
I have tried many different antifungus treatments & found that
repotting helps.
One item I came up which is called PrimaStop but it is not allowed in
Calif.?
So now when I repot, I wash the plant with a Physan solution first.
If you find out anything more I would love to hear from you.
--
Cheers Wendy
Remove PETERPAN for email reply

"Ben Lurkin" wrote in message
hlink.net...
:
:

Old 06-02-2004, 12:16 PM
Ray

Ben,

I believe you'll be far more successful in your orchid growing if you change
your "ecosystem" concept for them away from "inside the pot", and instead
think of the pot as a clean container in the larger ecosystem in which the
plants reside.

The fact that you have what is apparently a saprophytic fungus is a bad
sign, and dead roots sure isn't good either.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
hlink.net...

Old 06-02-2004, 07:02 PM
Ben Lurkin

Thanks so much for the ID. You underestimate the numbers of them though.
There several million of them. If you use any organic matter in your
planting media you will have one or more of the saprophytic fungi.
Saprophytic is a descriptive term. It simply means it lives on dead organic
matter. The common edible mushroom, penicillin, and all composting fungi
are saprophytic fungi. Yes there are some that are associated with a
variety of plant diseases, but I am sure the ones I have are simply
composting the bark in the pot. The only way not have them is to not use
organic matter in the potting medium. The spores float in the air land on
any thing moist and grow. Example mold on bread. If there is moist dead
organic matter and oxygen there are saprophytic fungi.

I did a google search for "saprophytic fungus" and got 808 references. One
I found particularly interesting was a parasitic orchid that lives on a
saprophytic fungus. Yes there a few parasitic orchids.

http://www.rninet.de/bguenter/Orchid...NidusAvis.html

:-)
Ben

"Wendy" wrote in message
Hi Ben, I found this stuff in my orchid pots & did some extensive

research.
I took a sample to our local Agricultural Dept. & they told me it was
Saprophytic fungi. They could not tell me how to treat it. There are
supposedly thousands of different types.
I have tried many different antifungus treatments & found that
repotting helps.
One item I came up which is called PrimaStop but it is not allowed in
Calif.?
So now when I repot, I wash the plant with a Physan solution first.
If you find out anything more I would love to hear from you.
--
Cheers Wendy
Remove PETERPAN for email reply

"Ben Lurkin" wrote in message
hlink.net...
:
:

Old 06-02-2004, 10:32 PM
Wendy

Thanks Ben, you are correct, in the number of this type of fungi. Millions
not thousands.
Yes, everything in your post is what I came up with in my research.
I have over 2000 plants so it would be hard to switch to something
inorganic?
Thanks for the info & please, please let me know if you find
something topical that clears it up?
--
Cheers Wendy
Remove PETERPAN for email reply

"Ben Lurkin" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]
: :-)
: Ben
:
:
:
:
:
: "Wendy" wrote in message
: news:vjEUb.15384$fD.7630@fed1read02...
: Hi Ben, I found this stuff in my orchid pots & did some extensive
: research.
: I took a sample to our local Agricultural Dept. & they told me it was
: Saprophytic fungi. They could not tell me how to treat it. There are
: supposedly thousands of different types.
: I have tried many different antifungus treatments & found that
: repotting helps.
: One item I came up which is called PrimaStop but it is not allowed in
: Calif.?
: So now when I repot, I wash the plant with a Physan solution first.
: If you find out anything more I would love to hear from you.
: --
: Cheers Wendy
: Remove PETERPAN for email reply
:
:
: "Ben Lurkin" wrote in message
: hlink.net...
: :
: :

Old 07-02-2004, 01:54 AM
Ben Lurkin

Did you find anything that suggested that this type of fungus could be
detrimental?? Unless someone knows of a reference to this particular
fungus, I will consider it beneficial for the following reasons.

Any orchid root than can use fertilizer uses the nutrients released in the
decomposition of the planting medium by fungus or bacteria.

I know that many species of both decomposition bacteria and fungi give off
growth inhibiters. The organic matter is going to break down whether it is
in a pot, on the forest floor, or even on a tree trunk. It would be
possible that if a bacterium invaded first it could inhibit the growth of
fungus and vice versa.

[When an epiphytic plant establishes its self on the bark of a living tree,
the bark under the plant becomes infected with either a bacteria or a fungus
and breaks down providing nutrients for itself and the plant that improved
the habitat and made it possible to grow here. This often eventually kills
the cambium layer. The bacteria and fungus then can then grow on into the
wood underneath. For this reason my parasitology professor insisted all
epiphytes were in fact parasitic.]

On one web site I visited, it was reported that many orchid seeds would not
grow, in nature, unless invaded by a saprophytic fungus. I see the majority
of them as beneficial.

I did find specific examples of orchids that benefit or need saprophytic
fungus. I found disorders of other plants where saprophytic fungus were
involved. I found nothing that indicated a negative effect on orchids by a
saprophytic fungus.

If any one knows of a website that describes damage done to an orchid by a
saprophytic fungus, please let us know the address.

Ben

"Wendy" wrote in message
Thanks Ben, you are correct, in the number of this type of fungi. Millions
not thousands.
Yes, everything in your post is what I came up with in my research.
I have over 2000 plants so it would be hard to switch to something
inorganic?
Thanks for the info & please, please let me know if you find
something topical that clears it up?
--
Cheers Wendy
Remove PETERPAN for email reply

ink.net...

: "Wendy" wrote in message
[...]

: "Ben Lurkin" wrote in message
: hlink.net...
: :
: :

Old 07-02-2004, 01:57 AM
Ben Lurkin

"Wendy" wrote in message
Thanks Ben, you are correct, in the number of this type of fungi. Millions
not thousands.
Yes, everything in your post is what I came up with in my research.
I have over 2000 plants so it would be hard to switch to something
inorganic?
Thanks for the info & please, please let me know if you find
something topical that clears it up?
--
Cheers Wendy
Remove PETERPAN for email reply

ink.net...

: "Wendy" wrote in message
[...]

: "Ben Lurkin" wrote in message
: hlink.net...
: :
: :

Old 07-02-2004, 02:08 AM
Ben Lurkin

"Wendy" wrote in message
Thanks Ben, you are correct, in the number of this type of fungi. Millions
not thousands.
Yes, everything in your post is what I came up with in my research.
I have over 2000 plants so it would be hard to switch to something
inorganic?
Thanks for the info & please, please let me know if you find
something topical that clears it up?
--
Cheers Wendy
Remove PETERPAN for email reply

ink.net...

: "Wendy" wrote in message
[...]

: "Ben Lurkin" wrote in message
: hlink.net...
: :
: :

Old 07-02-2004, 02:19 AM
Wendy

Interesting stuff Ben & if this fungus isn't detrimental to the plants, then
it's not what some of my plants have.
There was a time where it was so bad, I could pick out which cymbidiums'
had
the flak, (my word for this), just by how they looked. The roots were
definately decomposed & a strong
mushroom odor! It would be attached to everything, the pot, pseudos, roots &
potting medium! I have lost a few plants too.
So now everything gets a bath in Physan, before repotting.
I would still like to try the recommended PrimaStop but as I mentioned they
will not
ship it to Calif.?
--
Cheers Wendy
Remove PETERPAN for email reply

"Ben Lurkin" wrote in message
link.net...
[...]
: saprophytic fungus.
:
: "Wendy" wrote in message
: news:5ETUb.16413$fD.3380@fed1read02...
: Thanks Ben, you are correct, in the number of this type of fungi.
Millions
: not thousands.
: Yes, everything in your post is what I came up with in my research.
: I have over 2000 plants so it would be hard to switch to something
: inorganic?
: Thanks for the info & please, please let me know if you find
: something topical that clears it up?
: --
: Cheers Wendy
: Remove PETERPAN for email reply
:
:
: "Ben Lurkin" wrote in message
: ink.net...
[...]
: : :-)
: : Ben
: :
: :
: :
: :
: :
: : "Wendy" wrote in message
: : news:vjEUb.15384$fD.7630@fed1read02...
: : Hi Ben, I found this stuff in my orchid pots & did some extensive
: : research.
: : I took a sample to our local Agricultural Dept. & they told me it
was
: : Saprophytic fungi. They could not tell me how to treat it. There are
: : supposedly thousands of different types.
: : I have tried many different antifungus treatments & found that
: : repotting helps.
: : One item I came up which is called PrimaStop but it is not allowed
in
: : Calif.?
: : So now when I repot, I wash the plant with a Physan solution
: first.
: : If you find out anything more I would love to hear from you.
: : --

Old 07-02-2004, 02:37 AM
Wendy

Interesting stuff Ben & if this fungus isn't detrimental to the plants, then
it's not what some of my plants have.
There was a time where it was so bad, I could pick out which cymbidiums'
had
the flak, (my word for this), just by how they looked. The roots were
definately decomposed & a strong
mushroom odor! It would be attached to everything, the pot, pseudos, roots &
potting medium! I have lost a few plants too.
So now everything gets a bath in Physan, before repotting.
I would still like to try the recommended PrimaStop but as I mentioned they
will not
ship it to Calif.?
--
Cheers Wendy
Remove PETERPAN for email reply

link.net...
: "Wendy" wrote in message
: news:5ETUb.16413$fD.3380@fed1read02...
: Thanks Ben, you are correct, in the number of this type of fungi.
Millions
: not thousands.
: Yes, everything in your post is what I came up with in my research.
: I have over 2000 plants so it would be hard to switch to something
: inorganic?
: Thanks for the info & please, please let me know if you find
: something topical that clears it up?
: --
: Cheers Wendy
: Remove PETERPAN for email reply
:
:
: ink.net...

Old 07-02-2004, 04:08 AM
Ben Lurkin

OK, at this point, the fungus was growing only on the media and dead roots.
I still believe that the roots died as a result of a bad transplant job a
year ago last fall. I have kept potted plants for 60 years, but I still
consider myself a newby with orchids. I cut away the dead roots rinsed with
water and planted in new media.

Would your experience indicate that the fungi begins in the media and then
moves to the roots?? Saprophytic fungi excrete digestive enzymes to break
down the dead organic matter, and then absorb the nutrients. Some of these
enzymes could damage [read kill] roots of some plants. Of course I am
speculating here. The fungus would grow on dead roots.

In the organic garden; decomposition and disease fungi are different
species. But, for anything in biology every rule has an exception. It is
never safe to say always. Also in the crowded conditions of pots and a
greenhouse, miner infestations can become epidemics. I never have a problem
with cottony aphis outdoors, but when the plants come in, in the fall I must
be observant. Some years one gets in and will multiply very rapidly without
the predators that are outdoors.

There are compounds available for killing fungi on some vegetables and roses
at the organic gardening supply houses. These fungi live on the leaves
defoliating and killing the plant. I use one on roses and another on
cucumbers. As I have not previously had a root problem, I have not looked
into a safe way of dealing with them. Many fungicides are extremely
poisonous and not acceptable to me as an organic gardener.

I will try and do more research in the coming weeks.

Ben

&

Old 07-02-2004, 02:32 PM
Ray

While the fungus itself might not be detrimental to the plants, its mere
presence indicates that the condition of the medium is...

.. . . . . . . . . . .
link.net...

"Wendy" wrote in message
Thanks Ben, you are correct, in the number of this type of fungi.

Millions
not thousands.
Yes, everything in your post is what I came up with in my research.
I have over 2000 plants so it would be hard to switch to something
inorganic?
Thanks for the info & please, please let me know if you find
something topical that clears it up?
--
Cheers Wendy
Remove PETERPAN for email reply

[...]