Old 10-02-2004, 08:12 AM
Barra

Default Miniature orchid resources?

With limited windows and space I'm looking for smaller orchids. When
searching for 'miniature orchids' I get more and more commercial book links
(a growing problem with search engines these days). Are there any good
resources about smaller orchids for in the house (in the Netherlands) on the
internet?

For some odd reason I always stop at Australian orchids in the nurseries. I
currently only have Sarchocilum hartmanii and Dend. kingianum. Yes, by
accident both from Australia and good beginners orchids. I prefer botanicals
(no hybrids or they must be natural) with smaller fleshy flowers.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Maarten van Damme

Old 10-02-2004, 09:32 AM
Geir Harris Hedemark

"Barra" writes:
accident both from Australia and good beginners orchids. I prefer botanicals
(no hybrids or they must be natural) with smaller fleshy flowers.

Any suggestions?

Ascocentrum miniatum - if you have the light to grow them.

http://www.rickstropica.com/ascocentrumminiatum.html
http://www.speciesorchids.com/Ascoce...iatumJava.html

(I bought a flask from Burleigh park in august. They have now doubled
in size or so, but I don't expect them to flower until 2006)

Geir
Old 10-02-2004, 12:34 PM
J Fortuna

Barra,
Have you considered phal equestris? It does not require much light (unlike
the Ascocentrum Geir suggests). The plant itself stays pretty small -- it
gets keikis frequently, but as long as you give them away to your friends. I
would think it would remain small. The flowers are really cute (there are
different colors, but the one I got has those little intricate pink flowers
with different shades of pink).
Joanna

. nl...