GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Orchid stand suggestions wanted (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/52184-orchid-stand-suggestions-wanted.html)

Barra 10-02-2004 08:32 AM

Orchid stand suggestions wanted

Situation:
I have in my study a 1.5 meter high window facing west. Sun comes in the
late afternoon. Room temp between 18 and 20 centigrade during the day and
between 14 and 16 at night. Just under a flat roof it can be near 30 degrees
centigrade on hot days in summer. There is a wall in a 90 degrees angle
(facing north) just next to this window. There is a vent slit just above the
window that gives a slight draft but can be closed.

Question:
Is there a system that can be hung on the wall where you can place orchids
on. I could imagine a plastic type of background with attached a water
collecting construction at the bottom. This will allow me to mist the
orchids without having to remove them and not soaking the wall. Just like a
small case without sides wich perhaps allows to hang additional light above
and attach a small fan for air circulation.

Maarten van Damme

BetsyB 11-02-2004 02:32 AM

Orchid stand suggestions wanted

How about mounting a secondhand fish tank on it's side? Plenty of light.
Wall protection from the misting device?

--

BetsyB
. nl...

Ray 11-02-2004 11:11 AM

Orchid stand suggestions wanted

Several years ago, I built myself an "interior greenhouse window" based upon
the aquarium-on-its-side concept.

For about $25 I bought 6 pieces of glass - back, top, bottom, two sides, and
a 2" lip for the bottom front - and glued it together with silicone glue.
It was as wide as the window is sat in front of, about half the height (full
would have been better, but a bit too heavy), and about 2 feet deep. The
outer edges were covered with stained, wooden corner molding (the stuff you
put on the edge of a wall to prevent the kids from tearing up the
wallpaper), also siliconed on, which reinforced the seams.

I put gravel in the bottom - a built-in humidity/drip tray - and the walls
and ceiling helped retain the humidity a bit. Had it been really tall, I
might have considered siliconing in a shelf or two...

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Barra 11-02-2004 12:01 PM

Orchid stand suggestions wanted

"BetsyB" betsy959atoptonline.net schreef in bericht
How about mounting a secondhand fish tank on it's side? Plenty of light.
Wall protection from the misting device?

Thanks BetsyB,
Secondhand fishtank doesn't sound (look) esthetically pleasing to me.
Wouldn't there be a commercial solution? Something with a plastic back and
small shelves or a way to attach blocks to this back. And a way to collect
the misting water? And perhaps a way to attach a lighting device on top of
it.

I'll try to design it in a CAD program and post it to the group to explain
what I am looking for. Perhaps there might be a commercial viable product in
it ;-)

Maarten