GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Phaius flavus (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/52508-phaius-flavus.html)

[email protected] 13-02-2004 05:52 PM

Phaius flavus

I'm wanting to give an orchid to my sister. She's always done
tropicals (I do orchidssomewhat). I thought the folliage would be to
her liking, and culture something she could handle with her
experience. Have been searching, and have not found a site with
phaius flavus for sale. Does anyone have any idea where in the US
these plants are available?

House of Paisley 14-02-2004 12:23 AM

Phaius flavus

I picked one up from Dowery Orchids. I don't recall it being
in their catalog. I wanted something else they listed, but didn't
have, and was given this as a choice for a substitute. You
might just email them and see if they have any tucked away.
I also think Andy's once had them, as I think they once listed
a picture of them there.

Crystal

--
http://home.comcast.net/~xtals/orchid.htm
om...

Michael Gerzog 15-02-2004 02:32 PM

Phaius flavus

wrote in message . com...

Have been searching, and have not found a site with
phaius flavus for sale. Does anyone have any idea where in the US
these plants are available?

Try looking for it by its synonym Phaius minor. It's not common, but
I've seen it around though I don't remember where offhand.

MG

Bob Walsh 16-02-2004 12:42 AM

Phaius flavus

Nancy,

You might try Ted Green at . I'm not sure but I think he
does a lot with Phaius.

Doing a search on Google.com I found Asiaticanursery.com has them for
$16.00. They're in PA. Maybe Ray knows something about them.

Could be others have them too. This was the first I clicked on.

Bob

Bob
"Michael Gerzog" wrote in message
om...
. com...

Ray 16-02-2004 03:33 PM

Phaius flavus

Nope, don't know them. From their home page, it sounds like they
experienced some sort of disaster last year - fire or something. Lewisburg
is about 100 miles west of here, south of Harrisburg.

They have a lot of interesting plants, but mostly terrestrials, and some are
quite costly. (I may have to jump on a Phaius flavus myself, though!)

.. . . . . . . . . . .
"Bob Walsh" wrote in message
Nancy,

You might try Ted Green at . I'm not sure but I think he
does a lot with Phaius.

Doing a search on Google.com I found Asiaticanursery.com has them for
$16.00. They're in PA. Maybe Ray knows something about them.

Could be others have them too. This was the first I clicked on.

Bob

Bob
"Michael Gerzog" wrote in message
om...
. com...

Al 19-02-2004 02:46 PM

Phaius flavus

I have one that I think came from Dowrey Orchid Nursery some time ago.
It is getting large now and may bloom soon. They have sparse yellow
spots on the leaves that are erratic and form no particular pattern.
These spots are about the size of a pencil eraser tip. It is the kind
of yellow spotting that looks chlorotic and people who see this plant
in my greenhouse, even some otherwise experienced growers, will
diagnose fungus, bacterial or virus disease when they point it out to
me to explain what I can do to cure it. This is always great fun and
happens frequently enough that I already have a script mapped out for
the conversation. I usually start out by saying, "Isn't it remarkable
that the symptoms are all at the same stage on both the young and old
leaves and none of the spots are more or less advanced in decay?" I
do not know if P flavus comes in two varieties or not, one with spots
on the leaves and one without them.... Mine arrived labeled as P.
flavus. It has always had spots.

"Ray" wrote in message ...
Nope, don't know them. From their home page, it sounds like they
experienced some sort of disaster last year - fire or something. Lewisburg
is about 100 miles west of here, south of Harrisburg.

They have a lot of interesting plants, but mostly terrestrials, and some are
quite costly. (I may have to jump on a Phaius flavus myself, though!)

. . . . . . . . . . .
"Bob Walsh" wrote in message
Nancy,

You might try Ted Green at . I'm not sure but I think he
does a lot with Phaius.

Doing a search on Google.com I found Asiaticanursery.com has them for
$16.00. They're in PA. Maybe Ray knows something about them.

Could be others have them too. This was the first I clicked on.

Bob

Bob
"Michael Gerzog" wrote in message
om...

. com...

samuellwarner 29-03-2011 07:32 PM

I accept one that I anticipate came from Dowrey Orchid Nursery some time ago. It is accepting ample now and may blossom soon. They accept dispersed yellow spots on the leaves that are aberrant and anatomy no accurate pattern. These spots are about the admeasurement of a pencil eraser tip. It is the kind of chicken spotting that looks chlorotic and humans who see this plant in my greenhouse, even some contrarily accomplished growers, will diagnose fungus, bacterial or virus ache if they point it out to me to explain what I can do to cure it.