Old 14-02-2004, 11:32 PM
Diana Kulaga

Default A Gift of Orchids

Some years, I've lamented the fact that my birthday is the day before
Valentine's Day - like having a Christmas birthday.

Not this year. Frank has been taking (for the second time) the class at
Odom's, and Tuesday morning was his last session. I had a society meeting
in the afternoon, so we didn't connect until around four.

I was feeling pretty good, having bought a beautiful, near specimen size
Blc. Orange Nugget, with many, many buds about to open, from the members'
sale table at the meeting. Then, Frank took my hand and said, "Come and see
your birthday and Valentine's presents". The patio table was covered with
living color!

He had brought me (well, perhaps I should say he brought "us", since he is
clearly now addicted):

Blc. Mem. Vida Lee "Limelight"
Dtps. Taisuco Firebird x same
Dtps. Minho Princess "Louise"
C. Chocolate Drop "Kodama"

And that doesn't count the plants he brought home from every one of the five
sessions before that. (He's a goner - no more disclaimers that the hobby
belongs to me!)

Add to that the fact that Angcm. magdaleinae (yes, sp) decided to put out a
second blooming, and I say, "Who's luckier that me?". Another lanai
addition looms large.....

Diana (who is feeling very smug about having brought her husband into the
cult)

Old 15-02-2004, 01:32 AM
House of Paisley

Absolutely too sweet. I'm not sure I want to be as lucky as you
though. My husband is a gem, taking interest in each flowering
plant, and being really careful around everything when I haven't
gotten around to getting things in their proper homes. Even
going with me to the next show, but frankly.. I am afraid if he
actually started bringing things home on his own. He does find
them very interesting, and never complains....but I hope I
never reach the point with him that he becomes too interested.
We still have to save for retirement. Good for you though!

Crystal

--
http://home.comcast.net/~xtals/orchid.htm
ink.net...

Old 15-02-2004, 04:39 AM
J Fortuna

Diana,
Good for you! :-)
David is not as much of a goner as Frank yet, but
-- he knows nearly as much about orchids as I do, since I tend to talk about
orchids a lot, and most of the time he is willing to listen
-- sometimes he will even check whether an orchid needs watering and if it
does he will point it out to me
-- he is very good about my orchid spending limit, and today at Al's
Greenhouse when I asked him "Can I get two plants?" He said something along
the lines of "Get as many as you like" Foolish man, he has not learned to be
afraid of the consequences of such a statement. I got 3 plants (nearly a 25%
increase in my collection)
-- also after we came home from Al's I thanked David for going there with
me, and he said that he very much enjoyed it, too.

So I think, give him time, and he might become like your Frank. :-)

Anyway, since you bragged about your Valentine's and Birthday Gifts (Happy
Birthday by the way), I now feel a bit less shameless about bragging about
mine. Here they a

Phal Brother Precious Stones 'Valentine' -- what an appropriate name, and
the color is quite stunning in that it looks different in every light,
changing from dark pink/purple to almost red. It reminds me of raspberry
sorbet.

Phal Brother Supersonic x Mistral's Red Devil 'Peaches' -- my first
'artshade' or orange Phal. The colors are gorgeous.

Phal Jordon's Pixie 'Sweetheart' x Zuma's Pixie -- it's not blooming yet,
but I hope that it will be something like it's parent which is one of Al's
collection that we greatly admired.

He had so many beautiful specimen plants there, it was like being in a
museum and chocolate store combined (chocolate being my other great
addiction).

Best,
Joanna

Old 15-02-2004, 09:59 PM
Diana Kulaga

but I hope I never reach the point with him that he becomes too interested.
We still have to save for retirement.

Crystal,

If he's going to shows with you and doesn't complain, he's probably already
on his way!

Diana

Old 15-02-2004, 10:00 PM
Diana Kulaga

"J Fortuna" wrote:

today at Al's Greenhouse when I asked him "Can I get two plants?" He said

something along the lines of "Get as many as you like"

Uh, huh! I admire your restraint after hearing that! Congrats on your new
acquisitions!

Diana

Old 15-02-2004, 10:00 PM
Diana Kulaga

so how'd u do it (bring him into the cult)?

Jerry,

It's a bit complicated. He and I are both "take charge" people, a situation
that we have learned to live with, compromising from time to time.

A while back, he decided that he especially loved the Vandas, and since I
had so much to do he basically took over their care, watering every day and
feeding twice weekly. I caught him trying to sneak extra water to the other
orchids, though, and I couldn't convince him that it was a bad idea. So I
started talking up the classes at Odom's, which he knew I had enjoyed
several years ago, and one day he decided it would be a good idea to go
himself. (What a great idea he had!!)

That class is hands on, and you can purchase anything you pot for about ten
bucks. He bought every one, and then some, as plants on the display table
cought his eye - all "for me", of course. Ahem.

After that, he would help me repot, still saying it was "my hobby", but
started making "suggestions" as to potting media, etc. He decided that "I"
needed more room, so we added on to the lanai. He built benches and rods,
etc, and a potting bench "for me".

Then, he started coming with me when I set up displays at shows (to help me
carry stuff, of course). And maybe just offering some teeny little
suggestions here and there. And then helping dismantle the displays when
the shows were over. To "help me", naturally.

Notice the pattern: as things progressed, I let my take charge
guy......well, take charge.

Then I talked him into taking the Odom's class again, and he was cooked.
LOL

Diana

Old 15-02-2004, 10:32 PM
Susan Erickson

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 20:37:17 GMT, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

Diana

John did that when we first started growing. He "didn't mind"
going on the gh tours. He kind of liked picking out a plant for
me to grow. But they were 'my plants' and I should repot. etc.
Then he started picking up Paph.s - Not particularly my
favorites. . On business trip he came back to Chicago from CA
with his Samsonite Suitcase full of orchids all wrapped for
shipping and his suit rolled up in his carry on bag. That was
about the end of the "your orchids" discussions.

But he still will not help put up the display. I need to learn
that trick.

SuE
Old 15-02-2004, 10:36 PM
Diana Kulaga

On business trip he came back to Chicago from CA
with his Samsonite Suitcase full of orchids all wrapped for
shipping and his suit rolled up in his carry on bag. That was about the

end of the "your orchids" discussions.

I remember that story - I love it! I have visions of him rolling up that
suit..........

But he still will not help put up the display. I need to learn
that trick.

Frank doesn't get into the installations, even though he does suggest from
time to time. Still, he comes with me now, and enjoys it. And now he helps
to take them down, because he knows what's under there. Before, he didn't
want to touch anything for fear of toppling stuff. Can't really blame him;
Rube Goldberg lurks under the facade of most displays!

Diana

Old 16-02-2004, 08:33 PM
hantayo

[...]

Hi Diana,
Happy Birthday late!:-) And congratulations on getting your Hubby addicted
to orchids, too!
Kathy K. ^..^

--
"The Raven keeps one eye on the future - yet - one eye on the past so his
journey is always straight..."

Old 16-02-2004, 09:58 PM
Diana Kulaga

Happy Birthday late!:-) And congratulations on getting your Hubby
addicted to orchids, too!

Thank you, and great to hear from you again. I was thinking about you a
couple of weeks ago, remembering your cheerful posts.

Diana

Old 19-02-2004, 06:50 PM
hantayo

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
ink.net...
Happy Birthday late!:-) And congratulations on getting your Hubby

addicted to orchids, too!

Thank you, and great to hear from you again. I was thinking about you a
couple of weeks ago, remembering your cheerful posts.

Diana

Hi Diana,
I'm pleased to know that you remember me. :-) I've been hibernating for
some time - plus spending a lot of time fixing my computer (a real
nightmare....).
My 'Brown Eyes' catt. finally bloomed & it still has 1 bloom in good
shape. The crazy catt. has been in bloom since Dec. 30th! I've been thrilled
with it. I put a picture of it on my orchid page on my web site.
Kathy K.^..^