Old 15-02-2004, 11:15 PM
Diana Kulaga

Default Orchid Photos: Getting Those Reds?

To all you ace photographers out the

What do you do to get good reds? We've got a great camera now, and can get
true colors in every hue but some reds. I posted a pic in abpo of Dtps.
Taisuco Firebird, but the true color is a deeper and richer fuscia than what
we captured.

We get the "brown" reds, and the maroons are perfect. But the hot fuscias
are a problem. Any advice welcome!

Diana

Old 16-02-2004, 01:42 AM
Larry Dighera

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 22:28:19 GMT, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote in Message-Id:
. net:

To all you ace photographers out the

What do you do to get good reds? We've got a great camera now, and can get
true colors in every hue but some reds. I posted a pic in abpo of Dtps.
Taisuco Firebird, but the true color is a deeper and richer fuscia than what
we captured.

We get the "brown" reds, and the maroons are perfect. But the hot fuscias
are a problem. Any advice welcome!

The color balance of digital cameras often needs tweaking. Most
cameras permit you to do it before tripping the shutter release, or
you can do it post production in Photoshop of PaintShop.
Old 16-02-2004, 02:42 AM
Wendy

Diana, I have the same problem with my Sony with some of the colours of the
Catts.
Try taking photos at different times until you see something close.
I tried adjusting your photo using Irfanview but it came out softer.
I then searched on Google Images & wow! There is one photo there that is
spectacular!
I can see why you chose this one.
--
Cheers Wendy
Remove PETERPAN for email reply

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
ink.net...
: To all you ace photographers out the
:

Old 16-02-2004, 04:02 AM
Eric Hunt

Diana,

Red is a very difficult color to capture in an image - either on film or
with digital. I am sure there is a nerdy explanation for this involving lots
of complicated properties of physics, but I'm not that nerdy to know. =)

Digital pictures (and scans of film) offer the advantage of the power of
Photoshop. You can look at the flower in real life and adjust the colors on
the screen and/or printout to get a good match.

This month's Orchids magazine has last year's specialty award winners in it
and they even comment on the Miltionopsis award how difficult it is to
capture a good red on film. =)

Good luck!

-Eric in SF

Old 16-02-2004, 09:22 PM
Diana Kulaga

Thanks, all. I know about adjusting color post-photo, but still haven't
been able to capture that particular plant's color. Nice to know the pros
have problems too......

I think that one of these days we'll have to spring for Adobe Photoshop.
From everything I hear, that's the best one without spending obscene amounts
of money. That program is about as obscenely priced as we'd want to get.

Diana

Old 17-02-2004, 02:32 AM
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 21:04:53 GMT, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote in Message-Id:
. net:

Thanks, all. I know about adjusting color post-photo, but still haven't
been able to capture that particular plant's color. Nice to know the pros
have problems too......

I think that one of these days we'll have to spring for Adobe Photoshop.
From everything I hear, that's the best one without spending obscene amounts
of money. That program is about as obscenely priced as we'd want to get.

Diana

Photo Shop is intended for professionals in the printing trade, so it
is priced accordingly. It does everything, but the learning curve can
be steep.

Paint Shop Pro is a very capable program at a reasonable price.

$79 Download:
http://www.jasc.com/products/paintshoppro/

Free trial:
http://www.jasc.com/products/trialre...d=K-PSP8-USDIR
Old 17-02-2004, 05:12 AM
profpam

I actually prefer Photo Shop 7.0 by Jasc to Adobe's Photoshop because it
is easy to use and very affordable. Of course, there are a number of
things that work better with Photoshop; i.e. cutting-out a complex
object.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

Larry Dighera wrote:

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 21:04:53 GMT, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote in Message-Id:
. net:

Thanks, all. I know about adjusting color post-photo, but still haven't
been able to capture that particular plant's color. Nice to know the pros
have problems too......

I think that one of these days we'll have to spring for Adobe Photoshop.
From everything I hear, that's the best one without spending obscene amounts

Old 17-02-2004, 05:15 AM
V_coerulea

Good reds are very difficult with a diverse background. I've found that the
best way to get a good red is to provide a monochromatic background of blue
(especially), yellow, brown, gray, or just about anything but purple and
some greens. I know there are technical explainations of why the reds are
difficult but this is the best work-around I've come across. It may not be
"natural", but you'll get the red you want.
Gary

Old 17-02-2004, 06:12 AM
Reka

Photoshop Elements isn't bad for the money.
--
Reka

I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

"Larry Dighera" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 21:04:53 GMT, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote in Message-Id:
. net:

Thanks, all. I know about adjusting color post-photo, but still haven't
been able to capture that particular plant's color. Nice to know the

pros
have problems too......

I think that one of these days we'll have to spring for Adobe Photoshop.
From everything I hear, that's the best one without spending obscene

amounts
of money. That program is about as obscenely priced as we'd want to get.

Diana

Photo Shop is intended for professionals in the printing trade, so it
is priced accordingly. It does everything, but the learning curve can
be steep.

Paint Shop Pro is a very capable program at a reasonable price.

$79 Download:
http://www.jasc.com/products/paintshoppro/

Free trial:
http://www.jasc.com/products/trialre...d=K-PSP8-USDIR

---

Old 17-02-2004, 01:10 PM
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 21:22:25 -0800, profpam wrote in
I actually prefer Photo Shop 7.0 by Jasc to Adobe's Photoshop because it
is easy to use and very affordable. Of course, there are a number of
things that work better with Photoshop; i.e. cutting-out a complex
object.

Yes. For power and ease of use, Jasc's Paint Shop is the tool of
choice. If you need to do color separations, match commercial
printing ink colors, or complex rendering, PhotoShop can do it at a
price.

Old 17-02-2004, 01:14 PM
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 07:09:56 +0100, "Reka"
wrote in Message-Id: :

Photoshop Elements isn't bad for the money

I'm not familiar with that. Tell me more.

Old 17-02-2004, 01:24 PM
Larry Dighera

wrote in Message-Id: :

Photoshop Elements isn't bad for the money

I'm not familiar with that. Tell me more.

Orchid Photos: Getting Those Reds? Diana Kulaga Orchids 0 15-02-2004 10:59 PM
Rosie Reds April1201 Ponds 15 12-08-2003 04:13 PM
Rosey Reds Sam Hopkins Ponds 14 31-07-2003 01:05 AM
Rosie Reds D. S. Ponds 3 02-06-2003 03:57 PM
Fragrant reds (was Pics (including Double Delight)) Daniel Hanna Roses 0 21-05-2003 10:20 PM