Old 17-02-2004, 04:02 AM
Everett B. Simonds

Default Help - Trying Orchids Again

I've tried Orchids several times in the past with limited success. I
could keep them alive, but I never could get them to bloom. I decided
to give up on them until I had room for a greenhouse. I don't have a
greenhouse yet, but my wife presented me with a purple and white
phalaenopsis on Valentine's day.

There was no tag on it, but it's in real good condition. Nice heavy
foliage, good roots and wonderful blooms.

Right now I have it sitting on a table a couple of feet from a north
window.

My questions a

1. How do you more experienced growers water and/or fertilze your
phalaenopsis.

2. How do provide proper humidity?

3. Should I have it facing a diferent direction?

4. Anything else I should know?

I am determined not to let this one waste away.

Thanks.

EBS

Old 17-02-2004, 01:29 PM
J Fortuna

Everett,

The first year I had my first two Phals I had them within a few inches of a
North window, it still was not enough to get them to rebloom. Do you have
any other window available? For example an East window? If not (I did not),
then you will have to buy a grow light to supplement the light from the
window. I bought a 60Watt Grow Lamp from my local plant nursery (not the
cheapest option -- look in the recent thread with subject Lighting Again for
a cheaper one), I turn it on in the morning before leaving for work, and
turn it off about 14 hours later. I have had five Phals rebloom for me thus
far, and two of them have rebloomed more than once (basically all the ones
that I have had long enough to rebloom have done so), so I know that this is
enough light to get them to reflower.

1. The most frequent advice given on fertilizing Phals is "fertilize weekly
weakly" -- meaning every time you water at half the fertilizer strength
recommended on the label. Just mix the fertilizer into the water in the
watering can/bottle.

2. I have found that the humidity in my apartment in Washington DC was
enough to get the Phals to rebloom without a humidifier. This year I got a
humidifier to make up for the dry heated air in the winter, mostly for my
sinuses but also for the Phals -- but it is not necessary, it is just
better.

3. Yes, you absolutely need to have the Phal facing a different direction: a
north window is just not enough. An east window is best. If you want to put
it next to a south window, then it would have to be further away or behind a
sheer curtain. From what I understand, a western window may sometimes be a
bit too much sun as well -- depends on where you live (Florida or Alaska).
Or you can go the grow lamp route, if north windows is all you have.

4. My understanding is that the two main causes if a Phal is not reblooming
are a) not enough light; or b) not enough day-night temperature difference
(they like about 10-15 degree Fahrenheit temp difference for example in the
fall to encourage them to start a flower spike). The way I provide this is I
leave the window a bit open over night when I know that the temperature low
will be ok (not colder than 55 degrees Fahrenheit)

Hope this helps,
Joanna