Old 21-02-2004, 02:31 AM
Ray

Default Help identifying orchid...

Nope, not a catt. Looks like some sort of oncidium or oncidiinae species or
intergeneric that
has suffered from severe desiccation, probably from root rot.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
"RPM1" wrote in message
I have a no-name orchid which I rescued from a trash can
a couple of months ago. It seems to be happy and is letting
me know this by growing a 4 inch spike! :-D I think it's a
catt but I'm not sure (newbie here). Is there a site where
I can post a jpg of it so you pros can have a look? I'd just
like to know what it is so I can be sure I'm giving it what
it needs.

TIA

Ruth CM

Old 21-02-2004, 12:32 PM
RPM1

"Ray"
Nope, not a catt. Looks like some sort of oncidium or oncidiinae species

or
intergeneric that
has suffered from severe desiccation, probably from root rot.

Aw crud, and here I thought it was happy. Is there any
hope for the poor thing? Maybe I shouldn't let it bloom?

Ruth CM

Old 21-02-2004, 02:21 PM
Ray

Sometimes plants bloom as a last-ditch effort for survival. If it was mine,
I'd cut the spike, and resort to the old "sphag-n-bag" technique to get new
root growth.

Now that I wrote that, let me state that I am ASSUMING it has bad roots. It
is obviously desiccated - the pseudobulb is WAY too shriveled - which means
it's not getting enough water. That is commonly due to two causes: under
watering, or overwatering (or badly decomposed medium) that has led to root
rot. No roots, no way to absorb water.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
"Ray"

Old 21-02-2004, 03:02 PM
RPM1

"Ray"
Sometimes plants bloom as a last-ditch effort for survival. If it was

mine,
I'd cut the spike, and resort to the old "sphag-n-bag" technique to get

new
root growth.

Could you explain "sphag-n-bag" to a total newbie
please?

Now that I wrote that, let me state that I am ASSUMING it has bad roots.

It
is obviously desiccated - the pseudobulb is WAY too shriveled - which

means
it's not getting enough water. That is commonly due to two causes: under
watering, or overwatering (or badly decomposed medium) that has led to

root
rot. No roots, no way to absorb water.

When I found it in the trash at the nursery I asked
the girl to pot it. I agreed to pay whatever amount
they needed to charge (10 bucks if I remember
correctly). She wasn't too happy to pot it but she
did. After reading your post I decided to take it
out of the pot to see what was up. The so-called
"orchid expert" put it on a pot with standard
potting soil and then she very nicely sprinkled
orchid bark only on the TOP of the pot! Grrrr!
It has a good mass of roots (I can see the perfect
shape of the pot it was in prior). I can't really
tell if they're in good shape. I took a jpg of the
roots if anyone cares to look (my server won't
let me post to the binary group).

Ruth CM

Old 21-02-2004, 04:07 PM
Ray

Go ahead and email it to me, if you'd like.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 23-02-2004, 09:34 PM
Reka

Try posting to news:alt.binaries.pictures.orchids (click on the link and it
should connect you if your server has it).

Good luck!
--
Reka

I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

"RPM1" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I have a no-name orchid which I rescued from a trash can
a couple of months ago. It seems to be happy and is letting
me know this by growing a 4 inch spike! :-D I think it's a
catt but I'm not sure (newbie here). Is there a site where
I can post a jpg of it so you pros can have a look? I'd just
like to know what it is so I can be sure I'm giving it what
it needs.

TIA

Ruth CM

---

Old 23-02-2004, 10:26 PM
Reka

[...]

Help Identifying An Orchid Hose Boy Orchids 0 16-06-2008 09:32 PM
Need Help Identifying Plant Help Please CAZ Gardening 2 08-07-2004 12:03 AM
Identifying an orchid McEve Orchids 6 15-07-2003 09:57 AM
Battling Algae - Need help identifying RifRaf Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 20-04-2003 06:11 AM
Help identifying....... Purchgdss Gardening 10 03-04-2003 03:20 PM