Old 25-02-2004, 07:28 PM
John Carruthers

Default Kew orchid display

I took my daughter for an interview at Kew RBG yesterday ( she got the
position :-)) and while waiting was invited to wander around. ("wellll
OK then, if you insist" ;-) They have an orchid special display in the
Princess Di conservatory at the moment. Breathtaking !! Makes mine
look rather sick.
jc

---
http://mysite.freeserve.com/jc_atm/

Old 26-02-2004, 12:05 AM
K Barrett

I would have loved to see it!! I understand that the Princess Di
Conservatory is the only place where Kew displays orchids. Congrats on your
daughter gaining employment at Kew! Now you'll have to figure out sneaky
ways of gaining access to their gardens, saying you've come to collect her
for lunch, and just browse after dropping her off, etc. *G*

K Barrett

Old 27-02-2004, 05:45 PM
K Barrett

I can't even imagine who that would be... The queen Mum? (RIP)

K Barrett

"GB" wrote in message
news

As a matter of interest the Princess of Wales Conservatory is not named in
honour of the late Princess Diana but the previous Princes of Wales.

Old 29-02-2004, 07:46 AM
GB

Old 29-02-2004, 08:09 AM
Clare Sleeter

Congratulations on your daughter's appointment. What will her duties be?
It gives me some solace to think that Kew might once again be getting
their orchid collection together. When I visited during the 2003 EOC,
their "premiere" orchid exhibit at the conservatory, primarily put on to
coincide with the EOC, was mostly cut Dutch flowers. Also upon viewing at
the new greenhouses, they only had two dozen terrestrial orchid plants
remaining from what used to bulge their old greenhouses, and IMHO what was
once the best terrestrial holdings in the world. I know that all orchid
staff had been moved out when I was there and a new group had come in and
were being recruited. Maybe some of the funding is coming back from
Wisley?

John Carruthers wrote:

I took my daughter for an interview at Kew RBG yesterday ( she got the
position :-)) and while waiting was invited to wander around. ("wellll
OK then, if you insist" ;-) They have an orchid special display in the
Princess Di conservatory at the moment. Breathtaking !! Makes mine
look rather sick.
jc

---
http://mysite.freeserve.com/jc_atm/

Click here for Free Video!!
http://www.gohip.com/freevideo/

Old 29-02-2004, 09:12 AM
John Carruthers

Congratulations on your daughter's appointment. What will her duties
be?
She's on a 3 year diploma course. As a first year I expect it'll be
all the manky jobs and the overtime, really don't know but I wish it
was me :-)
http://www.kew.org/

---
http://mysite.freeserve.com/jc_atm/