Old 28-02-2004, 11:32 PM
WNeptune

Default cool growing V intermediate?

Subject: cool growing V intermediate?
From: "kenty ;-\)"
Date: Tue, Feb 24, 2004 2:03 PM

Is there much difference between the cost to run a cool or intermediate
greenhouse,I have been growing in my home and am now hoping to get a
greenhouse in the near future.I have a mixture of plants ,so while my
collection is small I am deciding which to go for. I know the night time
temp in the cool house can go down to 10 deg or slightly less can be
tolerated.13 deg for intermediate night temp.Both being 20 deg in the day.I
am surprised at the day temp for cool growers,so is there really much
difference in cost to run?Or is it really a matter of which plants you
prefer,I would like to have a intermediate greenhouse with a small section
at the end for growing cool growers with a high & low air vent inter
connected with the intermediate house to give heat at night when required
for the cool growers.Would this work?
Do any of you grow both,if so any ideas on costs to run?

--
Thanks Keith,UK

I am unable to give you the answer you requested, but I do have some
suggestions:
If you wish to specifically grow plants requiring different temperatures, you
are better off to have a divided house and running the two temperatures you
need. I have a 14 x28ft GH which is divided equally, and run one side warm, min
nite temp of 65F; and the other side cool, with a min nite temp of 46F. I live
in New England, and believe me the heat loss through even double glazed glass
can be HIGH, and there is a tremendous difference between even 2-4 degrees.
The disadvantage is that you need to set up each side as individual units, but
the savings from the cool side will make up for it, plus you will be better off
with growing your cool plants.
If I had it to do over, I would even divide my cool room and have a third temp.
with a warm of 65F, an intermed of 50F, and a cool of 40F.
The Aussie dendrobes, nobiles, and cymbidiums would do well at 40F, and the
heat requirement would be minimal.
People talk of placing plants in various climate areas, but if you have fans
going with max air at all times, then there are no varying temp areas-or at
least none in my GH.
A far as cost, I heat with forced hot water, from a boiler fired with natural
gas which also heats my home, and I have no idea as to cost for the GH.

Old 29-02-2004, 09:21 AM
kenty ;-\)

Thanks for your advise.

--