GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   cochleanthes amazonica new bud :-) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/54439-cochleanthes-amazonica-new-bud.html)

J Fortuna 04-03-2004 11:10 AM

cochleanthes amazonica new bud :-)

I don't know if any of you recall that in late November I mail ordered a
cochleanthes amazonica, that came with five buds, and then proceeded to bud
blast and lost all of them. :-(

Well, I am very happy to report that today morning while watering it I have
discovered one new bud. Yay! :-) Since it is now on a regular watering
schedule, and its environment is not changing, I have hopes that this time
the bud will actually yield my first cochleanthes flower.

Just wanted to share the happy news.
Joanna

William Hill 23-03-2004 01:08 AM

"J Fortuna" wrote in message .. .
I don't know if any of you recall that in late November I mail ordered a
cochleanthes amazonica, that came with five buds, and then proceeded to bud
blast and lost all of them. :-(

Well, I am very happy to report that today morning while watering it I have
discovered one new bud. Yay! :-) Since it is now on a regular watering
schedule, and its environment is not changing, I have hopes that this time
the bud will actually yield my first cochleanthes flower.

Just wanted to share the happy news.
Joanna

Hi Joanna, The best is yet to come !!! cochleanthes usually make a bud
every 2 months or so-- (on a good sized plant{full 3" pot & up))
Doesn't want to be "overpotted" prefers rootbound. Good Luck, Bill

J Fortuna 23-03-2004 04:02 AM

cochleanthes amazonica new bud :-)

Bill,

I will need all the luck wishes I can get with this cochleanthes, I fear.
The bud that I so happily reported on in the message you responded to has
blasted in the meantime as well :-(

My theory on why it happened is that water may have accidentally gotten on
the bud during watering (at least that is one possibility) -- those
peduncles are so close to the pot at least at the beginning. In the meantime
another bud has appeared, and I am now exceedingly careful to not let water
get on the bud, I got a new watering can with a better snout, and I am
trying to be more consistent about having the humidifier on, since low
humidity is my second theory on what could have caused the bud blast.

Anyway I am keeping my fingers crossed that this bud that is currently
looking pretty healthy will actually make it to flowerhood.

Joanna

"William Hill" wrote in message
om...

.. .