Old 06-03-2004, 05:36 PM

Default snivelling, snotting, and whining

I ordered the stuff to repot my orchids last week. My mother now is
in the hospital, has been for 5 days. Will put the orchids on hold
for a while longer.

The orchids have been moved 3 times in as many years, and haven't
received the care they deserve. That's probably the only reason that
they are still alive, because I haven't been able to screw them up too
much.

Anyway, everything is starting active growth, and I need to get
started, but don't have much time because visiting Mom is the priority
now. The good news being that I've had Cym spikes and Cattleya blooms
to take her in the hospital. They really help to cheer her.

I'll unlurk sometime in the future with questions and results. But I
do enjoy reading postings from this group. Wish there was a show
close to here to take in and possibly take Mom to see in the future.

Have a good day all.
Old 06-03-2004, 09:39 PM
K Barrett

Any roots growing over the side of the pot? If so you can do a 'poorman's
repot' which is to simply place the old pot inside a second larger pot, and
fill the inter-space with potting medium(bark or whatever). I've done this
with Cattleyas for the most part.

Good luck to your Mom.

K Barrett
om...

Old 06-03-2004, 10:07 PM
Diana Kulaga

Nancy,

Glad you find the ng helpful. Everyone is also pretty much compassionate;
I think it comes with the orchid territory. Hope your Mom does okay.
Meanwhile, the ochids will forgive you. Kathy forgot to mention the "Orchid
Gods", which she used to cheer me up a couple of years ago. Never will
forget how she made me smile at a difficult time.

GL

Diana

"K Barrett" wrote in message
Any roots growing over the side of the pot? If so you can do a 'poorman's
repot' which is to simply place the old pot inside a second larger pot,

and
fill the inter-space with potting medium(bark or whatever). I've done

this
with Cattleyas for the most part.

Good luck to your Mom.

K Barrett
om...

Old 08-03-2004, 02:42 AM
K Barrett

It is true. The Orchid Gods have heard about your Mom. Their emmisary -
cleverly disguised as the "plant" your Mom got in bloom - sent back word to
Orchid Heaven (yes, it does exist) that she's amongst the Believers and
they are doing all they can to speed her recovery.

Of course, the Orchid Gods usually require further signs of Belief. (read:
MORE ORCHID PURCHASES). Luckily even mere *discussion* of these plant
embassadors perform the same magic. Don't you wish all deities were so
understanding? Not like that fellow who demanded sacrifice of a son.
http://www.bobdylan.com/songs/highway61.html Mere orchid discussion fills
the bill quite nicely!

Good luck again to your Mom.

K Barrett

hlink.net...

"K Barrett" wrote in message
Any roots growing over the side of the pot? If so you can do a

'poorman's
repot' which is to simply place the old pot inside a second larger pot,

and
fill the inter-space with potting medium(bark or whatever). I've done

this
with Cattleyas for the most part.

Good luck to your Mom.

K Barrett
om...

Old 09-03-2004, 06:42 AM

"K Barrett" wrote in message news:V_Q2c.138346$4o.177857@attbi_s52...
It is true. The Orchid Gods have heard about your Mom. Their emmisary -
cleverly disguised as the "plant" your Mom got in bloom - sent back word to
Orchid Heaven (yes, it does exist) that she's amongst the Believers and
they are doing all they can to speed her recovery.

Of course, the Orchid Gods usually require further signs of Belief. (read:
MORE ORCHID PURCHASES). Luckily even mere *discussion* of these plant
embassadors perform the same magic. Don't you wish all deities were so
understanding? Not like that fellow who demanded sacrifice of a son.
http://www.bobdylan.com/songs/highway61.html Mere orchid discussion fills
the bill quite nicely!

Good luck again to your Mom.

K Barrett

The week before Mom went into the hospital I received my order from
First Rays for potting medium. Am in the process of trying SH and
converting from bark to CHC.

The weekend before Mom went into the hospital, I ordered a Vanda
assortment and pots from Chula Orchids. The Vandas arrived Wednesday
while Mom was still in ICU. They were in great shape, and I needed
something to lift my spirits.

The Dr. has upgraded Mom's condition and she's out of intensive care.
They are looking into the possibility of a pacemaker for her. The
biggest concern is the repercussion of the stroke damage. The
oncipidal (sp) region of her brain was effected. She still gets
severe headaches, is light sensitive, and has impaired vision. I'm
not sure, but suspect she may be blind in her left eye. Physical
Therapy and Occupational Health has been started and she's beginning
to respond positively to it. Mentally she's still sharp and responds
to humor.

The orchid gods have treated us kindly this year. I know I've given
Mom dozens of the Cattlelya flowers as they've bloomed. She's been so
pleased. More orchids have bloomed this year than in any year I've
had them. A vanda that hasn't bloomed for me since I bought it with
blooms 4 years ago has had 2 spikes and started a side shoot. Now, if
I could get the Den. lodigessii to cooperate.

I've had to do the orchids on a budget. Bought various seedlings and
back bulbs, from members of the Heart of Dixie Orchid Society before I
moved from Huntsville, AL. It's exciting when the plants grow from 2
leaves in a dixie cup to its first blooms. When I felt really flush,
I'd would get an occasional plant in bloom. I have to laugh at
myself, because my two orders this spring were nearly as expensive as
my previous investment in orchids.

Fortunately, the last couple of Catts to bloom, while lovely, have
also had an extraordinary fragrance. The orchid gods have been
generous this year.

Thank you for your kind words.

Nancy