Old 10-03-2004, 08:35 PM
Bacchae

Default Renanthera monachica help desperately needed

I got a Renanthera monachica in about October. It was
originally potted but I understood that it didn't particularly
like being potted and would want to be in an open basket when
it got a bit bigger.

Because it is a small plant it kept falling over and it soon
became apparent that all the roots in the medium were
shrivelled. I put it in a tiny hydroponics basket and hung it
on my open terrarium where I have other orchids.

In the last little while its lone root has been shrivelling up.
I am freaking out quite a bit now because I don't know what to
do for it. It also seems to be growing a new leaf but I have
no idea what to do with it now that it appears that shortly it
won't have any viable roots.

What can I do?

I have put orchids in veggie bags, you know the ones with the
holes, before so that they get additional humidity and stay a
wee bit warmer if they're near the windows. Do you think this
might help this little guy?

I can post a picture of the plant to abpo if anyone would find
that helpful.

Thanks for your help! I would hate to kill this little
treasure.

- Sandy

Old 11-03-2004, 03:46 AM
Ray

That genus likes it really bright, really warm, really humid, and with lots
of air movement. I don't think the "sphag-n-bag" idea is a good one unless
you can warm it up a lot, but without direct sun.

When I got the few I have, they were in similar condition. I put them in
wooden slat baskets of coarse charcoal, hung them high in the GH, and forgot
about them (except for regular watering along with the rest of my
collection). In a few months they were screaming back to life.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 11-03-2004, 04:32 AM
Bacchae

"Ray" wrote in message ...

That genus likes it really bright, really warm, really humid,

and with lots
of air movement. I don't think the "sphag-n-bag" idea is a

good one unless
you can warm it up a lot, but without direct sun.

When I got the few I have, they were in similar condition. I

put them in
wooden slat baskets of coarse charcoal, hung them high in the

GH, and forgot
about them (except for regular watering along with the rest

of my
collection). In a few months they were screaming back to

life.

So do you think if I took it to my mom's little greenhouse it
might be okay? She has full south exposure with some green
plastic liner on the glass. I could hang it up there but I
can't really get it totally out of the sun.

I suppose I could hang it off another plant so that it didn't
get total direct light but it would still be in bright light.

Would it be too bright even with the green liner on the glass?

Sorry I am rather dumb but I haven't ever had orchids in Mom's
greenhouse before.

Thanks.

- Sandy

Old 11-03-2004, 12:10 PM
Ray

Putting it under other plants and/or on or near the floor in the GH might do
the trick as a starting point, moving it brighter and brighter over the next
several weeks.

When I referred to keeping it out of the direct sunlight, I was referring to
__when it is in the sphag-n-bag treatment__ as it would literally cook in
the small, enclosed space. In the greenhouse, the idea is to transition it
to the bright conditions it needs, to avoid burning.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 11-03-2004, 11:09 PM
Bacchae

"Ray" wrote in message ...

When I referred to keeping it out of the direct sunlight, I

was referring to
__when it is in the sphag-n-bag treatment__ as it would

literally cook in
the small, enclosed space. In the greenhouse, the idea is to

transition it
to the bright conditions it needs, to avoid burning.

Ah, okay. Thank you. That makes sense.

- Sandy

Old 12-03-2004, 01:11 AM
Mark Fraser

Ray wrote:
That genus likes it really bright, really warm, really humid, and with lots
of air movement. I don't think the "sphag-n-bag" idea is a good one unless
you can warm it up a lot, but without direct sun.

When I got the few I have, they were in similar condition. I put them in
wooden slat baskets of coarse charcoal, hung them high in the GH, and forgot
about them (except for regular watering along with the rest of my
collection). In a few months they were screaming back to life.

An alternative strategy is to tie the plant on a slab of cork with a
slab of pad of sphagnum. Leave the slab lying horizontally until new
root growth is visible, then return the plant to habging vertically in a
suitably bright spot. I find this technique reliable as I am in a
somewhat arid climate, where I keep the majority of these plants in a
small heatedd glasshouse (min 14° Celsius). This techniques works well
for many vandaceous and angraecoid orchids, and I have managed to flower
a range of species this way.
MarkF

Old 12-03-2004, 08:43 PM
theoneflasehaddock

"Ray" wrote in message ...
That genus likes it really bright, really warm, really humid, and with lots
of air movement. I don't think the "sphag-n-bag" idea is a good one unless
you can warm it up a lot, but without direct sun.

Hey, just how warm is "really warm"?

I been thinking of getting one of them.

--
theoneflasehaddock

Old 12-03-2004, 11:24 PM
Ray

The come from a part of the world where the temps can range from the upper
60's to in excess of 90°F

.. . . . . . . . . . .
"theoneflasehaddock" wrote in message
om...

Old 13-03-2004, 10:22 PM
theoneflasehaddock

"Ray" wrote in message ...
The come from a part of the world where the temps can range from the upper
60's to in excess of 90°F

Ah, that explains why I never see them around here then. Thanks for the info.

-

. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 14-03-2004, 01:55 AM
V_coerulea

I try to keep my R. monachica happy in a large wooden vanda basket with a
lot of pumice rocks both for support and humidity. My greenhouse can get a
little on the dry side during spring and fall so I rely on this with a daily
watering to keep the roots happy. I keep it with the vandas and dendrobiums
for maximum light and humidity.

Old 14-03-2004, 01:55 AM
V_coerulea

"Bacchae" wrote in message
[...]

Renanthera monachica Roy[_2_] Orchid Photos 1 04-04-2007 05:39 AM
Renanthera monachica X 2 P Max Orchid Photos 0 14-12-2006 12:56 PM
Renanthera monachica bobc Orchids 2 17-02-2006 01:49 PM
Renanthera monachica root question Bacchae Orchids 6 05-12-2003 07:12 AM
Renanthera monachica root question Bacchae Orchids 0 03-12-2003 03:32 PM