Old 16-03-2004, 11:29 PM
GrlIntrpted

Default Disaster

The exterminator was here, and he set up bait "stations". They also dusted
the plumbing pipes. The exterminator warned us about the extra activity
that we might see after the treatment. To protect the plants he suggested
to outsmart the rodents by moving them to high areas or different areas from
where their normal spot is. I've done just that, and indeed the plants went
unharmed (though I did cover the orchids with a thin material too!).

Hopefully this will settle and the mice will be gone!

Mariana

"Bob Walsh" wrote in message
I got to thinking (rare for me some would say) last night about your pest
control service. If what they did was to place bait or poison for the mice
rather than traps you may have serious problems for a few more days. Many

of
the chemicals that are used for mice cause internal bleeding that greatly
increases their thirst. If nothing else is around for quenching their

thirst
some nice juicy young shoots from some orchids will suffice.
I don't have a solution other than to suggest maybe setting some jar lids
full of water along the walls for them to drink. The poison will still get
them if they take the bait.

Bob

"Geir Harris Hedemark" wrote in message
"GrlIntrpted" writes:
not believe that this could happen, just like that, never ever
thought that mice go for orchids.....isn't vanilla the only edible
orchid?

You can only hope.

Geir

Old 16-03-2004, 11:30 PM
GrlIntrpted

Anyway, the technology is established, the traps are cheap, and it
is probably more humane. Would you rather die from a quick 'snap' or a
long painful death by internal bleeding? I'd rather get hit on the

head...

After they damaged my orchids, you honestly think I care how they go?

Another thing that gets rid of rodents is cats. The feline kind.
Even if they aren't hunting cats (they have to learn how to kill from
their mother, but they are born knowing how to stalk), they still scare
off rodents. Probably the smell, or the chasing, or something. Then
you have to worry about your cats chewing on your catts, of course.
Believe it or not, they can be trained. Maybe you can borrow a kitty
for a few weeks.

I would (even though I dislike cats), but I have two dogs in the house.

Mariana

Old 16-03-2004, 11:30 PM
Mark Fraser

I don't know why, but rodents seem perversely attracted to
bulbophyllums. I saw what rats did to a BIG plant of Bulbophyllum
fleitcherianum(? not sure on the name)at the Australian National Botanic
Gardens in Canberra. Pseudobulbs the size of oranges and leaves a metre
long were just what the little monsters were after... and as for what
mice do to stanhopea flowers... the horror...the teethmarks...

At home our defence is an old fashioned one: two irascible cats.

Old 17-03-2004, 11:31 AM
RPM1

"Rob Halgren"
There is something to be said for the old 'snap' traps.

Absolutely!

Sure, it is
a little gross to clean them up, but is it any more disgusting than
finding rotting rodent carcasses under the dishwasher?

Or =not= finding them as they bubble, rot and stink
between the walls somewhere for the next 3 months!
No thanks. Just a quick whack and done! The traps
are cheap enough to be disposable if cleaning them
out is too icky.

Ruth CM