Old 15-03-2004, 11:39 PM
GrlIntrpted

Default Disaster

[Deep breath....].... I woke up this morning to a major, MAJOR disaster. You
see, I grow orchids on window sills, almost every window in the house is
serving
as a home to orchids. At night, it takes me about an hour to move the
orchids
from the sills to their night spots [we close the shades for the night]. The
ones in my bedroom [Southern exposure] go under our bed [Our bed is 4
feet
off the floor]. Some go on the external staircase [It leads to the basement
from the side of the house; it goes down to the high 50'F's at night]. In
the
morning, I wake up an hour earlier so that I can place the orchids back on
the sills.

This morning, to my complete horror, I noticed rodent bite marks on two new
growths of a Laelia milleri. Laelia lobata took a severe hit as well, Catt
maxima which I just received from a friend suffered too. The bulbo's
took a big hit, on those they ate through the bulbs. I've already contacted
an exterminator he is going to show up tonight. Meanwhile, I feel awful, I
can
not believe that this could happen, just like that, never ever thought that
mice
go for orchids.....isn't vanilla the only edible orchid?

The very bummed,
Mariana

Old 15-03-2004, 11:39 PM
Eric Hunt

Mariana,

That's terrible news.

We at OrchidMania deal with the critters every start of winter - they get
into the greenhouse when it gets colder in SF and do exactly what you
described.

Every year we buy a different brand of bait and it clears them out in a
week. Finding the mouse mummy carcasses all year long sux, though.

Good luck with the exterminator!

-Eric in SF

. net...

Old 15-03-2004, 11:39 PM
wendy7

Yikes!!!!! What a shame Mariana, I would have cried.
I wonder if those electric gizmos work, you plug them in & they put
out a high frequency noise & the rodents or critters leave?
Hope you get those little sh one t's sorted out!
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

GrlIntrpted wrote:
[Deep breath....].... I woke up this morning to a major, MAJOR
disaster. You see, I grow orchids on window sills, almost every
window in the house is serving
as a home to orchids. At night, it takes me about an hour to move the
orchids
from the sills to their night spots [we close the shades for the
night]. The ones in my bedroom [Southern exposure] go under our bed
[Our bed is 4 feet
off the floor]. Some go on the external staircase [It leads to the
basement from the side of the house; it goes down to the high 50'F's
at night]. In the
morning, I wake up an hour earlier so that I can place the orchids
back on to

Old 15-03-2004, 11:40 PM
GrlIntrpted

I'm beyond crying...I just went through the orchids on the western side of
the house, and ALL the ones with the new growth have been damaged.
Interestingly, they spared the dendrobiums, some oncidiums as well as the
phals and paphs. They really went for the bulbos, pleurs, catts and
Laelias...I just hope that they wont die and will be able to restart a new
growth...

-M

Old 16-03-2004, 12:29 AM
Geir Harris Hedemark

"GrlIntrpted" writes:
not believe that this could happen, just like that, never ever
thought that mice go for orchids.....isn't vanilla the only edible
orchid?

You can only hope.

Geir

Old 16-03-2004, 01:33 PM
J. Del Col

"wendy7" wrote in message news:s6p5c.9481$uh.3969@fed1read02...
Yikes!!!!! What a shame Mariana, I would have cried.
I wonder if those electric gizmos work, you plug them in & they put
out a high frequency noise & the rodents or critters leave?

These "gizmos" are a fraud. They catch more suckers than mice.

J. Del Col