Old 25-03-2004, 12:58 AM
Alison

Default orchids toxic to cats?

Are there any cat lovers here? I know some plants are toxic to cats,
but was wondering about orchids. Is it possible that the smell of an
orchid could bother a cat? Our foster kitty has some other medical
problems that are making her obnoxious at the moment, but I was
wondering if it's coincidence that she acts so scared to come out of
hiding in the cellar, sneaking up the steps & looking around with big
eyes as if she can smell another cat in the house or something... at
approximately the same time as my brassia reached full bloom & started
putting out its fragrance.
Just curious whether anyone had any experience with their cats &
orchids not getting along.

Alison
Old 25-03-2004, 12:58 AM
molli

I rather wish Cats WERE allergic to orchids! Our youngest cat likes to eat
mine down to little nubs. The other two just like to lay there and share
window space with them.
Hugs,
Molli

om...

Old 25-03-2004, 02:22 AM
Ray

The answer is "no" to plant toxicity. Residual pesticides, sure.

Get yourself an Oncidium cebolleta, and the cat will "trip" its way away
from orchids ever again.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
om...

Old 25-03-2004, 12:05 PM
Mark Fraser

Just adding to the consensus. Our old cat ate the very first orchids I
got to bloom (Pterostylis species) I was furious, but what can you
do...If a cat wants to eat orchids, it will!

Old 25-03-2004, 01:04 PM
RPM1

"Mark Fraser"
Just adding to the consensus. Our old cat ate the very first orchids I
got to bloom (Pterostylis species) I was furious, but what can you
do...If a cat wants to eat orchids, it will!

Offer some wheat grass as an option/alternative?

Ruth CM

Old 25-03-2004, 02:10 PM
Edward Rutter Jr.

"Alison" wrote in message
om...
Are there any cat lovers here? I know some plants are toxic to cats,
but was wondering about orchids. Is it possible that the smell of an
orchid could bother a cat? Our foster kitty has some other medical
problems that are making her obnoxious at the moment, but I was
wondering if it's coincidence that she acts so scared to come out of
hiding in the cellar, sneaking up the steps & looking around with big
eyes as if she can smell another cat in the house or something... at
approximately the same time as my brassia reached full bloom & started
putting out its fragrance.
Just curious whether anyone had any experience with their cats &
orchids not getting along.

Alison

My cat does not go near them, no interest at all. I do grow grass for him to
eat in the winter.

--
Cheers!!
Ed

Old 25-03-2004, 04:02 PM
Unefer1

Yes , Cats just love orchids , they destroy them , my roomates cats
destroyed over 400 or 500 dollars worth of my orchids , so now cats and I do
not get along , but in all they don't seem toxic to cats .
Bright days & good growing
Todd

om...

Old 25-03-2004, 08:16 PM
kenty ;-\)

I wish they were toxic to them, then i would plant them in my garden to stop
the cats crapping all over!;-).

--
Thanks Keith,UK.
"Unefer1" wrote in message
m...
Yes , Cats just love orchids , they destroy them , my roomates cats
destroyed over 400 or 500 dollars worth of my orchids , so now cats and I

do
not get along , but in all they don't seem toxic to cats .
Bright days & good growing
Todd

om...

Old 25-03-2004, 08:42 PM
Diana Kulaga

As already stated, no toxidity. As far as the cat being afraid of the
Brassia, my guess is that the size and shape of the flowers spook the poor
thing. Remember, cats do not have good "close-up" eye sight. At close
range, they see mostly shape and, of course size. So this cat may perceive
the Brassia to be a larger animal, and fear a predator, especially if there
is the slightest movement of the flowers.

I'm lucky, I guess. I hear all kinds of horror stories about cats attacking
orchids, but ours doesn't. He likes to walk among them, and nuzzle our
largest Dendrobium, but never a bite or scratch. We don't let him do it
often, because at 15 pounds he might accidentally knock one over.

Diana

Old 26-03-2004, 05:57 AM
Doug Bolton

My 3 cats all like to eat thin leaved orchids. They also like jasmine and coffee
plants (who'd think a cat would want coffee in the morning?). The ones that are
not in my grow room I've grouped together for mutual protection (circle the
wagons) as individual plants offer 360 degrees of attack. I've tried oat grass
and it is a bit of a diversion for them. Problem is it "goes off" after a couple
of weeks and then I have to grow more. What's working really well is a small
sedge (cyperus) that I've made readily available to them and they're quite
happily relentless with it. Fortunately it's a fast growing plant. This has
significantly reduced the damage to the orchids.

Doug

orchids toxic to cats? Alison Orchids 3 25-03-2004 12:58 AM
orchids toxic to cats? Alison Orchids 0 24-03-2004 11:45 PM
toxic soil? mags Edible Gardening 26 09-04-2003 04:56 AM
Barton Springs toxic Gloria Donatello Texas 21 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Article of toxic levels of arsenic and other chems... J Kolenovsky Gardening 4 27-01-2003 05:41 PM