GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Web space Attn Eric (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/57184-web-space-attn-eric.html)

K Barrett 29-03-2004 04:11 AM

Web space Attn Eric

Hi Eric,

You mention on your page that you are now out of webpsace. Try 1 hour
hosting out of Los Angeles. http://www.1hourhosting.com/ Will give you up
to 200 megs for about 120/yr.

Dustin 29-03-2004 03:12 PM

Web space Attn Eric

I just moved my site over to IpowerWeb www.ipower.com . I think I
paid $90 for the whole year, that included 800mb space, a good amount
of transfer and an extra year of domain registration. You save quite a
bit paying for a whole year in advance.

Dustin

In article NhM9c.27607$JO3.27853@attbi_s04, K Barrett
wrote:

http://www.1hourhosting.com/

K Barrett 29-03-2004 05:12 PM

Web space Attn Eric

Cool! Thanks!

Kath

wrote:

http://www.1hourhosting.com/

Eric Hunt 29-03-2004 06:42 PM

Web space Attn Eric

Kathy,

Thanks for the tip - but I am a step ahead of you! =)

I was reading Wired on Friday and found an ad for 1and1 hosting - a fairly
large company and they offer quite a bit more for less than I am paying
Yahoo.

I get 1 gig of disk space, more bandwidth than I would ever need, all the
bells and whistles (including ssh!! yay!!) for hosting a professional site,
and 24/7 live phone support (which I've used already for a quick question!)
for $10/mo. With Yahoo! Domains I only got 100mb, no bells and whistles, and
they charge $15/mo.

I am almost ready to unveil a new website specifically for my orchid photos,
and I have moved my personal site, erichunt.com over to the new host as
well. Virtual domains are the bomb. As soon as the email DNS changes
propagate, I am going to cancel Yahoo!

So, expect to start seeing more orchids on my website, instead of just in
ABPO! I have five months of backlog to post, plus Ecuador! And I am going to
Hanging Gardens today to take pictures. =)

-Eric in SF

Rob Halgren 29-03-2004 07:02 PM

Web space Attn Eric

Eric Hunt wrote:

Kathy,

Thanks for the tip - but I am a step ahead of you! =)

I was reading Wired on Friday and found an ad for 1and1 hosting - a fairly
large company and they offer quite a bit more for less than I am paying
Yahoo.

I get 1 gig of disk space, more bandwidth than I would ever need, all the
bells and whistles (including ssh!! yay!!) for hosting a professional site,
and 24/7 live phone support (which I've used already for a quick question!)
for $10/mo. With Yahoo! Domains I only got 100mb, no bells and whistles, and
they charge $15/mo.

Can you run CGI scripts and a database too? I'm looking for a host
myself, but only if I can write my own CGI.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit

Eric Hunt 29-03-2004 07:03 PM

Web space Attn Eric

Rob,

Yup. User-written CGI is supported and you get access to mySQL on the
server.

www.1and1.com - Professional hosting package

-Eric in SF

Bobby Baxter 29-03-2004 11:13 PM

Web space Attn Eric

Rob,

I have set-up my last 15 web sites with Crystal Tech
(http://crystaltech.com). You may wish to at least take a look at their web
site to see their offerings. I plan to move my Daylily.Net domain to CT
within the month and will have great service but will pay a fraction of
what I am right now with over 400MB of disk space. With CT you can call them
at 3:30 in the morning and immediately talk with a real person to have
technical issues resolved.

Whoever you decide to go with, I recommend calling the company at different
times of the day and night over a period of a few weeks. "Things happen"
and when they do you will appreciate being able to get a real techy on the
phone no matter what time it is. Saving money is nice, but not if you
sacrifice service.

Bobby

Bobby Baxter
Happy Moose Web Design: http://thegardensite.com
Orchid Videos: http://happymoosegardens.com/orchids/videos.htm

jim seymour 30-03-2004 02:02 AM

Web space Attn Eric

You might want to look into www.1stcom.com for very affordable hosting and
good service/support We have several sites(5) with them and never a
problem. 15mb disk/2gb transfer/cgi bin : $6.50/ month. Other plans.

Jim

Troy House 30-03-2004 02:07 PM

Web space Attn Eric

I use www.nomonthlyfees.com
Mostly unlimited throughput, 500mg, $35/year (US$), great service.

--
Best,
Troy House