Old 30-03-2004, 03:02 AM
GrlIntrpted

Default Volcanic Lava Rock

Just returned from an orchid "date" . Spent some time with my down the
block neighbor who grows orchid as well. She just finished repotting her
orchids and this year is the third year that she is adding volcanic lava
rock to her mix. She grows mostly Catt hybrids, miniature Phal species,
Dendrobium species, and other hybrid orchids that most orchid growers own.
She says that ever since she started adding the rocks to her mix, her
orchids improved in appearance and flowering abilities. She uses no precise
measurements, just tosses it togeter with whatever medium she is using,
about 1:1 ratio.

I was wondering if this is an accepted "norm" for indoor orchid growing?
Does anyone have experience growing orchids in such a fashion, please share.

Mariana

Old 30-03-2004, 01:13 PM
Ray

I wouldn't say it's a "norm," but it is yet another example that almost
anything CAN be used.

The important thing to understand is that just because person "A" is
successful with something has absolutely no bearing on its applicability to
person "B's" growing conditions.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
. net...

Old 30-03-2004, 10:58 PM
GrlIntrpted

Of course not. But I'm just surprised that volcanic lava rock is not too
rough for orchid roots. I held the rocks in my hands, they're pretty rough,
uneven, and I thought that they'd surely damage the orchid roots, but
apparently not. I used to use them as a top dressing on my regular
non-orchid flowering plants, but never thought that they would be of value
as orchid medium. I do wonder though about the lava rock water retention
capabilities, oh... and what about fertilizer build up... any clue?

-M

"Ray" wrote in message
I wouldn't say it's a "norm," but it is yet another example that almost
anything CAN be used.

The important thing to understand is that just because person "A" is
successful with something has absolutely no bearing on its applicability

person "B's" growing conditions.

. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 31-03-2004, 12:29 AM
tbell

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 11:59:53 -0800, GrlIntrpted wrote
(in message ):

I held the rocks in my hands, they're pretty rough,
uneven, and I thought that they'd surely damage the orchid roots

I've bought a few plants with a smooth, lightweight, striate, yellowish tan
rock from 1-2 cms in size mixed in the medium. It doesn't look like LECA.
I've never seen it packaged for sale. Anyone recognize this description?
Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
To reply by e-mail, please remove APPENDIX

Old 31-03-2004, 12:30 AM
Ray

Sounds like diatomite, a/k/a/ Dyna-Rok II

.. . . . . . . . . . .
nd.net...

Old 31-03-2004, 07:42 AM
tbell

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 14:21:12 -0800, Ray wrote
(in message ):

Sounds like diatomite, a/k/a/ Dyna-Rok II

Thanks, Ray. I'll check it out, though I'd expect anything made of diatoms to
be pretty gritty, and this is quite smooth.

Old 31-03-2004, 12:58 PM
Ray

Tom,

The diatomite Joe DiDomenico sent me was very smooth, and the dust on the
surface gave it almost a talc-like feel.

Remember that diatomite is crushed, calcined muds of fresh-water diatoms,
not the washed shells of marine diatoms we see for filtration or
horticultural use.

nd.net...

Volcanic rock? BruceM Orchids 15 01-12-2007 06:13 PM
Anyone know of a source of truckloads of crushed volcanic rock? [email protected] Permaculture 3 08-11-2005 05:42 PM
Lava Rock Debra Lewis Orchids 6 11-06-2003 03:20 AM
Bio-filters and lava rock O3raledale Ponds 8 30-05-2003 06:08 PM
Volcanic rock as potting material gal Orchids 7 22-03-2003 08:20 PM