GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Chiloschista pusilla picture (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/57360-chiloschista-pusilla-picture.html)

Dustin 31-03-2004 03:21 AM

Chiloschista pusilla picture

Im preparing to get yelled at for posting a link to an image. At least
it wasnt attached to the message! The folks over in ABPO said you guys
were starved for orchid pictures because some of you cant access the
images in ABPO and I might want to try posting links to images in here.

So here it is, Chiloschista pusilla. If its identified properly. It
took forever for the first flower to open up even though they seemed
ready to go.

http://www.dustindorton.com/orchids2...tapusilla62/im
ages/DSC_0749.jpg

If the links arent welcome here, let me know, I will move future ones
over to ABPO

Dustin

Dustin 31-03-2004 03:21 AM

Chiloschista pusilla picture

Looks like the link didn't copy correctly, im going to try it again. . .

http://www.dustindorton.com/orchids2...tapusilla62/im
ages/DSC_0749.jpg

Susan Erickson 31-03-2004 04:03 AM

Chiloschista pusilla picture

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 20:54:08 -0500, Dustin
wrote:

Looks like the link didn't copy correctly, im going to try it again. . .

http://www.dustindorton.com/orchids2...tapusilla62/im
ages/DSC_0749.jpg

Dustin it is wrapping you need to take it to www.timyurl.com
there you can make it small like this one that points to your
lovely picture. http://tinyurl.com/2stlh
Although it is always a good idea to give the long one at the
same time, because there are people for whom the tiny URL will
not work.

We love links here. It is just the photos themselves you can not
post on a text newsgroup like this.

Tell me how you grow this lovely little treasure? The roots in
your photo are so blue, is it dye from the fertilizer or is it
actual color?
SuE

Dustin 31-03-2004 05:07 AM

Chiloschista pusilla picture

Is there any way to avoid the text wrapping, aside from using that
redirect thing? Thats a pain.

I have only had it since January. It seems quite happy growing in my
light cart. Its in front of a south facing window with additional
fluorescent lights on top. It started to form 3 spikes a few weeks
after I bought it. I dont know if the roots are blue, I am too color
blind to see such a light shade. They seem silvery gray to me.

Dustin

J Fortuna 31-03-2004 05:35 AM

Chiloschista pusilla picture

Dustin,

1) Noone is going to yell at anyone here for posting links. Links are ok. Really. Promise. No rules against them.
2) nice Chiloschista pusilla. :-) I don't believe I have seen this kind of orchid before, and I always enjoy finding out more about the diversity of the orchid world. It is amazing.
3) Links that are long tend to not paste right. There are two ways around that:

Try putting the link inside URL:long_link_text The result comes out like this
URL:http://www.dustindorton.com/orchids2...s/DSC_0749.jpg

OR

Go to http://www.tinyurl.com and create an alias for the URL that is too long. I have created one for you: http://tinyurl.com/2stlh . However if you use this method, please include the actual URL somewhere in the message also, since we do not know how long the tinyurl will be around and if the groups.google archive were around longer than the tinyurl, it would be a shame too loose the links.

Best,
Joanna

Dustin 31-03-2004 05:42 AM

Chiloschista pusilla picture

I like the long url method you posted, I think I will use that one.

I also have another Chiloschista, it was sold to me as C. usenoides.
It started to develop a spike and at the same time a little basal keiki
that actually had two tiny leaves. Right about that time I found
several mealy bugs on it and I think I might have hit it a little bit
too hard with the pesticide cause the spike dried up and it doesnt look
quite as happy as it did when it was infested with the bugs. I am
hoping it pulls through. It almost seems like the pesticide is keeping
the roots from sucking up as much water as it used to. Before when I
sprayed it down the roots would turn very dark instantly, now I dont
see that color change.

Dustin

In article , J Fortuna
wrote:

URL:http://www.dustindorton.com/orchids2...pusilla62/imag
es/DSC_0749.jpg

Dustin 31-03-2004 06:02 AM

Chiloschista pusilla picture

I am going to test out that URL trick here

URL:http://www.dustindorton.com/orchids2...schistausenoid
es/images/chiloschista_usenoides.jpg

That is my other Chiloschista, if you look in the center of the plant
you can see the spike that was just starting to form, and just below
that you can make out the tiny leaves that were coming off of baby
plant.

Dustin

J Fortuna 31-03-2004 06:04 AM

Chiloschista pusilla picture

Dustin,

Hmm, I guess the trick does not work for you. Which program are you using to
post the messages with? I am using Outlook Express, and this trick
definitely works for me.

One other thing to try is to figure out whether whatever program you use can
handle HTML messages. If you can post the message as an HTML message, then
you can code in the link like this a href="link_URL"link_visible_text/a.

Joanna

"Dustin" wrote in message
Looks like the link didn't copy correctly, im going to try it again. .

..

J Fortuna 31-03-2004 06:12 AM

Chiloschista pusilla picture

Oh, forgot to correct the URL that you posted, and thus prove once again
that the trick works for me.
URL:http://www.dustindorton.com/orchids2..._usenoides.jpg
I am sorry it does not work for you. :-(
My connection is acting up today, I am getting a huge lag in posting and
reading, so I guess it is time to go to bed, and tomorrow is another day.
Good night.
Joanna

.

tbell 31-03-2004 06:44 AM

Chiloschista pusilla picture

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 17:54:08 -0800, Dustin wrote
(in message ):

http://www.dustindorton.com/orchids2...tapusilla62/im
ages/DSC_0749.jpg

Links are perfectly fine, here, and your Chiloschista is beautiful.

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
To reply by e-mail, please remove APPENDIX

Dustin 31-03-2004 07:41 PM

Chiloschista pusilla picture

That is odd. I am using a program for Macintosh called Thoth. When I
posted the last message and I went back and read it, I was able to
click on that link and it worked just fine with the URL thing

Dustin

J Fortuna 31-03-2004 07:43 PM

Chiloschista pusilla picture

Dustin,
Look at the google archives of our messages:
Yours has a broken link
URL:http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...0hotmail.co m
Mine does not
URL:http://groups.google.com/groups?selm....gni link.net
I assume that this trick is Microsoft specific, and maybe even Outlook
Express specific. Things work differently on Macs, so I am not surprised
this is not working for you. I found the URL:link trick on the Web or in
groups.google somewhere, so if you search around there may be something for
Thoth as well. By the way I did not intend to make the URL:link a link,
but Outlook Express just converts it automatically. Computer applications,
can't live with the, can't live without them.
Joanna