Old 06-04-2004, 10:17 PM
Ted Byers

Default Any friends in Chandigarh, India who can tell me about orchid societies and vendors in that area of

Hi All,

I expect to be signing, in the very near future, a contract to teach
(several courses in programming and software engineering) in Chandigarh.
Classes start the first week of May and so I'd likely be there the last week
of April. The only uncertainty at this time is whether this is a one
semester deal or a very long term arrangement.

When I get there, I intend to go to the Canadian High Commission in
Chandigarh to find out about Indian laws regulations regarding orchid export
and Canadian laws and regulations in use at the time regarding import of
orchids from India (but I'll wait until I arrive to phone them because I
have heard from Canadian vendors dealing with orchid imports here that they
face almost constant change in how these regulations are applied: and I'll
make sure I get everything in writing so I can demonstrate that when I bring
orchids back, I have done everything according the the letter of what they
have told me).

But, while I have been in India before (in Madras and Bangalore), that was a
decade ago, well before my interest in orchids, and I now need to know if
there are orchid societies I could connect with while I am there, and what
vendors, greenhouses, and even botanical gardens, would be worth visiting.

It would also be good if there are any orchid biologists working there on
conservation efforts, with whom I could connect.

Does anyone know what orchids would be most commonly available in the orchid
market there, their cost, &c.? I would think that, being so close to the
natural distributions of dends and phals, it would be easier to find species
specimen plants representing several generations of greenhouse grown plants.
What time of year would most orchids be flowering in India? I am told I'm
in for a climate shock since the average temperature there is about 40
degrees Celcius (104 degrees Fahrenheit), and that when the monsoons start
within the next couple months they moderate to only 30 degrees Celcius (95
degrees Fahrenheit). It is a very good thing that the college and provided
accomodation is air conditioned! Hey, if in the late summer or early fall
you hear apparently wild stories of a Canadian disappearing there, and there
being found a large grease spot on the site where he was last seen, you'll
know that was me and that I just melted away. ;-) I'm sweating buckets
right now, and feeling very hot, just thinking about it. ;-)

IIRC, India is at, of near, the western edge of the natural distribution of
Dendrobiums and Phalaenopsis. Is that right? What other genera would be
common there? Of the orchids I am aware of, the genera/alliances of most
appeal to me are the phals, dends and catts, although some ladies' slippers
are starting to grow on me. I especially appreciate large showy flowers
with a nice scent.

Cheers,

Ted

Old 25-07-2004, 04:22 PM
mg

Default OT reply to reply to reply Any friends in Chandigarh, Indiawho can tell me about orchid societies and vendors in that area of the Punjabregion?

I could ramble on presenting the other side of the offshoring issue, but
I think it's sufficient to note that the 2 US presidential candidates
are on opposite sides of this issue [and you can guess where my
allegience is].

Don't you find it interesting Ted that you have to go to India to find a
good paying job? Just because you've got a good pitching arm, it
doesn't mean you should use it to throw molotov cocktails at the house
when its burning down. You might be mistaken for the arsonist.

On a happier note, Phrag Mem. Dick Clements is blooming on 2 growths for
the 2nd time this year!

Ted Byers wrote:
My comments are embedded below.

"Dave Sheehy" wrote in message

Ted Byers ) wrote:

: "mg" wrote in message ...
:
:
: Ted Byers wrote:
:
: I expect to be signing, in the very near future, a contract to teach
: (several courses in programming and software engineering) in

Chandigarh.

:
: Aiding the dark side, are we?
: Huh?

This is undoubtedly referring to the offshoring of engineering jobs to
India. The inference is that you will be aiding this trend by training
Indian SW engineers.

Perhaps I am. But I don't really care. Everyone, regardless of where they
happen to live, has a right to the best education they can get any any field
of interest to them. If that means that Indian software engineers can out
compete their north american or european counterparts, then tough. I do not
believe, though, that there is a shortage of opportunity in IT. I have seen
many cases where companies and public institutions have been "cheated" by
charletans who claimed to be experts and who, judging from what they
actually delivered, were grossly incompetent. Team up a good marketting man
right here with a team of good software engineers, and you'll have a
thriving business because if you're doing it right, you'll find plenty of
work (in part reparing damage done by incompetent competitors).

I know full well that if your mindset is that you have to be an employee of
a large company, finding work in IT is insanely frustrating. The whole
industry is in a mess, and many key decision makers are proving to be
blithering idiots, leaping after one trend only to run head long into major
problems that had been ignored before makng the leap.

I, for one, will take work where I can find it.

: All I can hope is that you don't know enough to export anything

important.

: What are you talking about?

I interpret this statement as you "exporting" SW technology (knowledge)
to India. The expressed hope is that you won't be able to them anything
useful.

That is rather insulting, don't you think?

And it is foolish.

After all, once India reaches a standard of living comparable to our own,
they won't have a competitive advantage due to the cost of living. And it
is a huge market. Any software company looking to market its wares would be
wise to encourage international cooperation in order to better be able to
sell TO India. BTW: some of my software has already been exported (a
product used to evaluate environmental risk, and currently in use by every
organization that currently has a Candu reactor): this is a product, the
only one of its kind so far (to my knowledge - things may have changed since
I finished it), developed here and sold there. Keep the folk there ignorant
and such sales won't be possible. Products can not be sold to people who
don't know they need the product and who don't have the means to buy it
anyway.

When it gets right down to it, I do not see the world in racial or national
bounderies. There are only people, and these have needs and aspirations to
be considered. If there is a chap on the other side of the planet who needs
education I can provide, and there is a way I can earn a living by providing
it, then I will do so. As an educator, who happens to have plenty of
experience in software engineering (as well as environmental science), I
have a duty to do so regardless of whether or not he will end up competing
with a neighbor down the street, round the block, or half way around the
world. Let the work go to the best egineer available regardless of
accidents of birth such as gender, race or place of birth. And as an
educator, I will make sure that those students who pass my courses are among
the best on the planet, and I have the education and experience required to
do so.

Dave, if your interpretation of what mg wrote is correct, then I'd suggest
that such protectionist BS be rebuked wherever it rears its ugly head (even
if it is OT here :-). And, I'd say I would have rather heard about orchids
likely to be available there, orchid societies, nurseries, etc. in
Chandigarh, and if mg (whoever that is) didn't have any information relevant
to my query then he or she should have kept silent.

Cheers,

Ted

PS: such protectionist BS gets me a little angry, so I think I'll go grab a
coffee and try to calm down.