GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Orchid Article (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/57953-orchid-article.html)

Diana Kulaga 06-04-2004 09:18 PM

Orchid Article

In today's NY times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/06/science/06ORCH.html

Mick Fournier 06-04-2004 10:02 PM

Orchid Article

Diana,

We need your member ID and password to see the article. What is it?

Mick

==================

hlink.net...

RPM1 06-04-2004 10:34 PM

Orchid Article

"GrlIntrpted"
??? why can't you take out your own ID? It's free....

A news site that wants me to "log on" just doesn't do
it for me so I'll pass.

Does anyone want to reveal the basic gist of the
article? Beyond that I guess I'll just never know
what remarkable brilliance the NY Slimes has to
offer.

Ruth CM

Mick Fournier 06-04-2004 10:35 PM

Orchid Article

Girl,

I am too busy to fill out all these time wasting forms upon forms upon forms
on the Internet. I have to fill all these urgent flask orders from Europe
and India and ship them out.

Busy, busy, busy, you know.

Mick
HBI, Producers of Fine Orchids in Flask
www.OrchidFlask.com

==================================

Mick Fournier 06-04-2004 10:35 PM

Orchid Article

Ruth,

Well said.

Mick

Dewitt 06-04-2004 10:35 PM

Orchid Article

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 17:04:56 -0400, "RPM1"
wrote:

Does anyone want to reveal the basic gist of the
article? Beyond that I guess I'll just never know
what remarkable brilliance the NY Slimes has to
offer.

First couple paragraphs below. The reason for no nectar was new to
me. Basically, if there is no nectar, the bee moves on so there is
less chance of self-fertilization.

"In the botanical world, orchids are famed not only for their great
beauty, but also for their powers of deceit, well established as the
liars and cheats of the plant kingdom, making false promises of food,
drink and even sex to the bees and other pollinators flying by.

Many orchids have a sweetly alluring fragrance but not a drop of the
expected nectar. Others look and smell just like female bees,
attracting male bees that try hopelessly to mate with the blossom."

deg

Susan Erickson 06-04-2004 11:05 PM

Orchid Article

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 16:37:42 -0400, "Mick Fournier"
wrote:

Diana,

We need your member ID and password to see the article. What is it?

Mick

Your special Mick -
Some of us never got asked for an ID.
SuE

Diana Kulaga 06-04-2004 11:06 PM

Orchid Article

Diana821; Kittypus

...........Which I have already changed.

Diana Kulaga 06-04-2004 11:06 PM

Orchid Article

I don't normally "log on" to that site. I saw the article and looked up the
link to post here. As far as the NY Times in concerned, I happen to agree
with Ruth's assessment. We get a hard copy of the paper; need to know what
the enemy is up to, y'know. Also, best crosswords to do in ink.

BTW, You're (expletive deleted) welcome! (Don't blame me. Al started it in
abpo.)

Diana

Mick Fournier 07-04-2004 06:32 AM

Orchid Article

Sue,

Hubba, hubba... I'd like your ID sweetie cakes.

Mick

Mick Fournier 07-04-2004 06:33 AM

Orchid Article

Diana,

It's the thought that counts.

Mick

Reka 07-04-2004 07:03 PM

Orchid Article

Kittypus??!! Aw, Diana!
--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

"Diana Kulaga" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
hlink.net...
Diana821; Kittypus

"Mick Fournier" wrote in message
Diana,

We need your member ID and password to see the article. What is it?

Mick

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
hlink.net...
In today's NY times.