Old 07-04-2004, 04:32 PM
wendy7

Default Green House Organization?

I am curious as to how everyone organizes their plants in the g/h?
Apart from the obvious hi/light, lo/light & cool to warm, do you keep them
together by genus?
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 07-04-2004, 05:34 PM
Rob Halgren

"wendy7" wrote in message

I am curious as to how everyone organizes their plants in the g/h?
Apart from the obvious hi/light, lo/light & cool to warm, do you keep them
together by genus?
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Wouldn't it depend on what you are doing with it? If you are a
commercial/walk-in greenhouse you pretty much have to organize
everything by genus/species/variety. Otherwise your customers can't
find anything (nor can you, should you be running around trying to fill
orders). This isn't optimal, assuming you have different sized plants
for each variety. If it is just your personal collection, then as long
as you know where things are, who cares? Besides, what is more fun than
having something bloom out that you didn't even know you had?

I really like grouping similar sized pots together, so I can at least
pretend to get my watering right.

If a cluttered greenhouse is a sign of a cluttered mind, what is an
empty greenhouse a sign of?

2a. See rule 1
3) Littlefrogs eat littlebugs
Old 07-04-2004, 06:03 PM
Al

I group according to pot size and kind and place broad groups in areas where
light and temp are best. Bt you are probably asking hobbyists with only one
or two plants of each grex/species.

Once a year prior to spiking, usually in late summer, I try to organize
like pot sizes in groups according to grex; next to DPE0001 6" pots Phals
are DPE0002 6" pots of Phals, etc. This way i can find things quickly, But
it is only a matter of a few weeks before confusion starts
"Do have any more of these in 6" pots?"
"My database says there are ten 6" pots of this cross but I don't know where
they went, give me a minute. Are you in hurry..."

I can live with customers carrying plants around and leaving them where
ever they find a better one. I don't think I can stop it anyway. It's
genetic in your species. What I don't like is having somebody hand me just
a tag with the question,
"Do you have any more of these?"
"Where did you get this?"
"Oh, somewhere over there, and also do you have any more of *these*..."

I have helper now, once a week, with his own ideas of how to organize,
"Don't all the yellows look nice grouped together like this, with the tall
ones in the back?"
"Next week, *you* get to pack the mail order boxes, Brad."

While I have never seen it happen things seem to more around at night while
I sleep, (I am considering a spy-cam in there) so that by this time of year
I can't find anything any more. I can't even see the print on most of my
tags anymore. I have started printing new tags in very large font sizes
because neither focal plane of my bi-focals clears up any font below 12.

Old 07-04-2004, 07:02 PM
Ted Byers

"Al" wrote in message
[snip]
genetic in your species. What I don't like is having somebody hand me

just
a tag with the question,
"Do you have any more of these?"
"Where did you get this?"
"Oh, somewhere over there, and also do you have any more of *these*..."

An idea you might consider is to place a second label either buried in the
pots (out of sight of the client), or fastened in some way to the pot (or
etch an ID number on the pot and keep in your database the ID number as well
as the pot size and name of the plant). At least that way, it isn't too
much of a pain to figure out what a plant is once some "person" has removed
the tag.

I have helper now, once a week, with his own ideas of how to organize,
"Don't all the yellows look nice grouped together like this, with the tall
ones in the back?"
"Next week, *you* get to pack the mail order boxes, Brad."

Al, you're too gentle with your new helper. Doesn't such behaviour at least
warrant a stern scolding at a high volume along with a warning that a repeat
offense will result in summary dismissal? You DID tell him when he first
arrived how you organized your greenhouse and why, and that if he wanted to
suggest something different he should ASK before ACTING on his idea, didn't
you?

While I have never seen it happen things seem to more around at night

while
I sleep, (I am considering a spy-cam in there) so that by this time of

year
I can't find anything any more. I can't even see the print on most of my

And here I thought those nasty little gremlins only attacked programmers'
computers. ;-)

Cheers,

Ted

Old 07-04-2004, 11:03 PM
bb

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 07:20:16 -0700, "wendy7"
wrote:

I am curious as to how everyone organizes their plants in the g/h?

I try to keep mine simply divided into four distinct sections: new
orchids, dying orchids, dead orchids and plants other than orchids.

bb
Old 07-04-2004, 11:32 PM
Kenni Judd

Wendy: Somewhat and sort of [which also pretty much describes our level of
"organization" G].

My customers don't seem to be able to find anything, anyway (except for my
"not for sale" exhibit and breeding stock, which they can zoom in on
IMMEDIATELY, thru multiple barriers of flagging tape, LARGE signs, and big
red tags G), so I figure that when it's out of bloom, I'm the only one who
needs to be able to find it. Works most of the time ... except that some of
Al's gremlins obviously come south for the Florida "season" G.

For us: Flowers go "up front" in a showroom area -- low phal light,
hand-watered, so anything can go there. The extra shade helps prolong
flower life on the plants which would otherwise grow brighter. Mature
Catts, Dens, Oncids, Phals, Vandas have areas, where I struggle to keep all
of the C. Xyz together, but there are always a few malcontents -- e.g., Den.
Red Dragon was getting sunburned in the Den. area, so now they live with the
young seedlings being hardened off; same with a few other things that,
ideally for my purposes, would be grouped with their fellows if they'd put
up with it.

For you, besides light and temp, you probably want to group things by their
watering requirements -- loosely but not 100% correlated with pot size,
within genera.

Rob: there are WAY too many things that empty GH could mean ...
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

Old 08-04-2004, 12:39 AM
wendy7

Ok Rob, say I have a whole bench full of paphs & I want to find
Paph. gratrixianum?

Old 08-04-2004, 12:39 AM
wendy7

Good idea Ted, putting an extra tag inside the pot. I did this a few years
ago with my cymbidiums as one of our cats used to chew the tags to
smithereens!
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply
"Ted Byers" wrote in message
news

[snip]

Old 08-04-2004, 12:39 AM
molli

That's easy Wendy..first you look at 'dead plant' tags to make sure you
actually HAVE a gratrix still living..then you start hunting one by one
through the live ones.....

hugs,
Molli

Old 08-04-2004, 01:32 AM
J Fortuna

My orchids in my apartment are organized into 3 distinct groups

Group 1: blooming or spiking orchids

Group 2: blooming or spiking orchids that do not fit into the same space as
Group 1 + non-blooming orchids + my husband's bay leaf plant that has
aspirations of becoming a tree

Group 3: non-blooming orchids that do not fit into the same space as Group 2
+ a few non-orchid houseplants (which are unlikely to survive in the long
run because I can only keep orchids alive).

There is also lots of space in the Group 2 area for more orchid
acquisitions. And there will be more space for the orchids there as more of
the non-orchids don't make it.

Joanna