GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Ants ate flowerspike (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/58414-ants-ate-flowerspike.html)

Dustin 08-04-2004 01:05 AM

Ants ate flowerspike

When I got home today I noticed the spike on my Ascocentrum miniatum was folded over. I was pretty bummed because this
was the first time I have ever gotten it to bloom again. Has anyone else ever had this happen?
It was hanging from another plant basket. I have a big staghorn fern in a cedar basket that hangs from the edge of my
roof. It looked like the ants were coming down off the roof, down the staghorn fern and onto the orchid. I sprayed em
with some orothene spray (nearest thing at the time) and took a couple of pictures.

Do you guys think the spike will survive? What can I do to prevent this?

Here is a picture where you can see the hole, its about half way or more through the spike:

URL:http://www.dustindorton.com/orchids2...s/DSC_1441.jpg

Here is a picture where you can kinda see the whole plant, and the now bent over spike.

URL:http://www.dustindorton.com/orchids2...s/DSC_1442.jpg

Dustin

Diana Kulaga 08-04-2004 10:02 PM

Ants ate flowerspike

Dustin,

We get all kinds of ants around here, though we can mostly control them.
Even on the few occasions where they have infested a pot, they have not
chewed any part of the plant.

I think something else did in that spike. Squirrels?

Diana

Dustin 08-04-2004 10:33 PM

Ants ate flowerspike

They were in there chewing on it when I walked up and noticed it. My
first thought was squirrel, but there is little doubt it was ants.

Dustin

Diana Kulaga 08-04-2004 11:32 PM

Ants ate flowerspike

Got me, then. Never have had ant damage. And I have also seen carpenter
ants, and even then nothing. Hope someone else responds.

Diana

Dustin 09-04-2004 01:02 AM

Ants ate flowerspike

Some of the flowers opened up today even with the damge. Its completely
bent in half now.

Dustin

Bob Walsh 09-04-2004 02:03 AM

Ants ate flowerspike

It may be to late but sometimes you can splint plant stems or infloresences
with wire or tooth picks and tape or twist'ems.

Bob