Old 09-04-2004, 02:03 AM
Dustin

Default greenhouse fans

I am looking for an inexpensive fan that I can use to circulate some air
in my shade house. I would like to find something that can get totally
drenched with water every day without fear of getting electrocuted. Can
any of you think of anything that fits the bill?

Thanks
Dustin

Old 09-04-2004, 03:32 AM
Ray

Inexpensive and dousable? Forget it. Costly and dousable is still difficult.

Water and electricity are a bad combo.

You can use cheap, K-Mart "Breeze Boxes", but don't wet them down.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 09-04-2004, 04:02 AM
Gene Schurg

Dustin,

I think I'd look for something where the fan is driven by a belt powered by
a motor that could be mounted in a dry place. I don't know of anything like
this but I was thinking about something like you'd see in the tropics.

Good Growing,
Gene

Old 09-04-2004, 04:03 AM
Dustin

Yeah, it did seem like too much to ask. I thought there might be
something out there though.

Dustin

Old 09-04-2004, 08:05 PM
Aaron Hicks

Dustin:

Check your electrical system. If you have outlets that have ground
fault circuit interruptors (GFCIs), or your circuit breakers have built-in
GFCIs, it increases the safety level.

None of this should be interpreted as me saying that it's OK to
hug Mr. Toaster while standing in a puddle of water from your sal****er
aquarium. However, ANYWHERE you have water and the chance of electrocution
as a function of this moisture (kitchen sink, bathroom sink, your tub-side
toaster), the electrical circuits should have a GFCI (sometimes called a
GFI). It's code in most places.

So. Net upshot- once you find a fan designed for moist locations,
make sure it's plugged into a GFI anyway.

The e-mail address in the header is a spam trap. Send no mail
there.

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ

Old 10-04-2004, 08:03 PM
Diana Kulaga

Dustin,

Yes. We have a 'wet fan' out in the lanai. It's an Emerson. The model
numbers for this fan are CF653WW00; CF653OB00; or CF653WB00, depending, I
think, on the color you choose. It set us back about $170 w/o installation.
Don't know where on FL east coast you are, but we got ours in Fort Pierce,
from "The Fan Man" (772)879-9353. Of course, since it's an Emerson I'm sure
you can order it just about anywhere.

HTH

Diana

Old 11-04-2004, 02:32 AM
Diana Kulaga

I will have to check that out. Im in Vero btw.

Do you belong to the Vero Beach OS? I'm chairing our display for their show
in a couple of weeks. And, Port
St. Lucie O/S is having our semi-annual auction next Saturday. See separate
post.

Interestingly, Vero is just over the winter line; though we're only a few
miles south we never get quite as cool as you do, though if you're on the
water that may not be so.

Diana

Dustin

Old 11-04-2004, 02:32 AM
Dustin

I dont belong to the Vero Beach society, but I will be going to the show
at the end of the month.

I wish I lived a bit further south, the night time lows here are a pain.
Next week we have a couple of nights in the low 50's hopefully thats the
end of it.

Dustin

Old 25-05-2004, 06:09 PM
Childers

How inexpensive do you want to go and is the purpose of the fan cooling or
air circulation? You can get an attic fan that is thermostatically
controlled and will circulate a lot of air for less than $50. It's not water
"proof", but will take the higher humidity's of a greenhouse better than
most house fans and will cool the greenhouse by drawing in outside air. It's
main drawback is they require instillation at a permanent location (usually
in the roof or eaves). For air circulation inside your greenhouse you can
get any number of small fans for less than $10 and place them around your
greenhouse or use a ceiling fan (rated for outdoor use) if you have the room
for it.

Bob C.

"Dustin " wrote in message ...
I am looking for an inexpensive fan that I can use to circulate some air
in my shade house. I would like to find something that can get totally
drenched with water every day without fear of getting electrocuted. Can
any of you think of anything that fits the bill?

Thanks
Dustin

Sad day for us Greg Bickal fans, but wish him well in his endeavor. ~ jan JJsPond.us Ponds 0 01-02-2004 11:14 PM
orchid house fans bb Orchids 15 03-06-2003 09:08 PM
orchid house fans *grin* Rob Halgren Orchids 1 02-06-2003 04:44 PM
Basketball Fans Bill Litchfield Gardening 0 31-03-2003 06:32 PM
OT Basketball Fans Bill Litchfield Gardening 2 27-03-2003 06:32 PM