Old 09-04-2004, 09:02 PM
GrlIntrpted

Default Den.lindleyii

I was taking the orchid to be watered and it fell out of my hand. One P/b
with a leaf and about 5 strands of roots (about 2" in length) broke off from
the tree fern square that the orchid is mounted on. The plant is in spike.
Though the p/b that broke off from the rest of the plant was not attached to
the p/b that is spiking, I am wondering if this breakage/impact can somehow
cause the plant to go into shock and prevent it from flowering. I also
wonder if I should just toss that one single p/b or should I pot it up? if
the later, should I mount it or pot it up?

Mariana

Old 10-04-2004, 09:32 PM
V_coerulea

Unless it's extremely tempermental, the spike should continue to develop.
This presumes that there was no unseen damage done to the spike during the
fall. I've even repotted in bloom in an emergency with little harm. If it's
a grex I really like, I'll frequently pot up a 1-2 p-b segment in a 3" pot
with seedling mix and a clip to hold it in place. Unless the p-b is
extremely dehydrated or the dormant buds at the base are damaged, you should
get new growth in anywhere from 20-60 days. I generally have about an 80-90%
success rate with backbulbs on catts and cyms.
If you're going to try, I would make clean cuts, soak in Physan, treat cuts
with your favorite treatment (mine's sulfur powder), and pot. If it's a tall
one, you obviously need some good support. With shorter ones a small bulb
clip will do.
Gary

news

Old 10-04-2004, 11:02 PM
GrlIntrpted

Hi Gary, many thanks for the tips!

It's a very healthy p/b not dehytrated, it looks like a p/b that was
fattening up in preparation for flowering!
I do not however see any traces of dormat buds ....I putted it up in a 2"
clay pot, in a mix of medium size ordinary orchid media and a bit of shreded
sphag moss! I'm letting it sit in a partial shade and I'm praying a lot :/.

Mariana
p.s. the spike is just emerging and from another p/b. It has not suffered
any damage when the plant fell.

Old 11-04-2004, 02:03 AM
Diana Kulaga

Hate to be a pain, but again, I missed the original post. I assume that you
posted it, Mariana. Would you repost the original in this thread? $%^#&
server!

BTW, my Den. lindleyii just finished a wonderful bloom. Would love to know
how to give it enough sustenance to elongate the blooming period.

Diana

"GrlIntrpted" wrote in message
t...
Hi Gary, many thanks for the tips!

It's a very healthy p/b not dehytrated, it looks like a p/b that was
fattening up in preparation for flowering!
I do not however see any traces of dormat buds ....I putted it up in a

2"
clay pot, in a mix of medium size ordinary orchid media and a bit of

shreded
sphag moss! I'm letting it sit in a partial shade and I'm praying a lot

:/.

Old 11-04-2004, 08:03 PM
GrlIntrpted

Here is the original Diana. I will cc it to your inbox as well.

Happy Holidays,
Mariana