Old 10-04-2004, 07:32 PM
J Fortuna

Default OT - keiki on prayer plant?

Do any of you have any experience with prayer plants?

I have one, and it is one of the few non-orchids in my household that are
surviviving, sort of.

I am wondering whether prayer plants can have keikis, because if they can I
think mine has one -- either that or it's been invaded by a little alien. It
has something that looks like a flower spike and then something that could
be a bundle of leaves at the end of the spike (only more dark than most of
it's other leaves are, almost black, and much smaller), and now it has two
roots growing out of this bundle. Seems like a keiki to me.

I have no clue what to do with it, so I may just wait and see for now.

Joanna

Old 10-04-2004, 11:05 PM
wendy7

Joanna, I searched and found it's botanical name, then this page says it is
easily propagated.
http://www.plantoftheweek.org/week123.shtml

--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 11-04-2004, 12:32 AM
Stephen

Do any of you have any experience with prayer plants?

No, but I have met a Maranta or two. They told me they were agnostic so I
don't know what to tell you.

Marantas, on the other hand, are pretty easily propagated from divisions so
it is possible your little growth with roots is part of the rhizome that is
above ground. When you sever the baby(horrible thought) be sure to put it
in a pot with a rabbit track or herringbone design on it.

Spartacus