GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Phal bastiani growth (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/587-phal-bastiani-growth.html)

Gene Schurg 23-01-2003 11:39 PM

Phal bastiani growth

In December 2001 I purchased a Phal bastiani in Hawaii and handcarried it
home. That plant started to spike last spring with 5 spikes. Not bad for a
plant in a 4 inch pot. In June one flower developed and bloomed. One of
the spikes grew a keiki. The other three did nothing except grow to about 4
inches long.

In October I cut the keiki and put it in a basket of moss where it is
growing happily.

In November I had to open up the top leaf because it was growing into a tube
(see other posting). The new growth came through and two nice leaves
developed.

Now all the dormant buds on the the five spikes have started to grow. Some
of them are becoming branches with flower buds. A few have developed into
leaves (future keikis).

Is this the normal growth pattern for this phal species? Spikes develop and
seem dormant for months then bloom 8-10 months after developing? Or do I
just have an abnormality that will probably correct itself?

Gene