Old 22-04-2004, 12:03 AM
Ray

Default Chemical Proportioner

Question for the gang:

We've often discussed and debated the utility of fertilizer proportioners ranging from hose-end
types to siphons to Dosatrons/Dose-matics.

I have an opportunity to begin carrying a tank-type device that connects to your hose bib, and that
feeds at a constant rate no matter what the flow or back pressure. Price is likely to be less than
$100 for a unit capable of feeding at an adjustable 1000:1 to 100:1 and holding several gallons of
concentrate.

Do you think there would be a value in them? I feel quite certain that if they had been available
before I bought my dosing pumps, I'd have gone with these instead - heck, I mix 5 gallons of
fertilizer concentrate for a 100:1 pump now, you think I'd mind doing so 40% more often to save
$300????

Thanks for your input.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 22-04-2004, 01:06 AM
Matthew Donadio

"Ray" wrote in message
I have an opportunity to begin carrying a tank-type device that connects

to your hose bib, and that
feeds at a constant rate no matter what the flow or back pressure. Price

is likely to be less than
$100 for a unit capable of feeding at an adjustable 1000:1 to 100:1 and

holding several gallons of
concentrate.

If it would work at the end of a 100 ft hose fed from my house, then I would
buy one (not for my orchids, but for outdoor beds). I have tried siphon
feeders, but they don't work when a 100 ft hose is attached since the
pressure drop is too large.

--Matt

Old 22-04-2004, 01:06 AM
wendy7

I actually need one Ray put me on the list. My old one has rusted & it
leaks!!!
Oh yes, have you tried one out? Also as long as it is not a mathematical
challenge?
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 22-04-2004, 04:05 AM
K Barrett

Can to be rigged for a more or less permanent install to PVC?

K Barrett

"Ray" wrote in message
[...]

. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 22-04-2004, 11:03 AM
Ray

Matt,

That is the sort of question I specifically asked, and these particular units function independent
of the pressure and flow.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 22-04-2004, 11:03 AM
Ray

Nope, haven't tried one yet. This "market survey" is the step before that...

From the literature I got from the manufacturer, it looks like a simple device - poly tank to which
you add fertilizer and water to form your concentrate, screw on the lid, which has an adjustment
dial and the inlet- and outlet hoses which connect to the coupling device on the spigot, and away
you go.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 22-04-2004, 11:03 AM
Ray

There is apparently an adapter just for that purpose...for an additional $10-$12, of course.

The literature says that the thing isn't supposed to stay under constant pressure. The make bigger,
more expensive units for those installations.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 22-04-2004, 03:02 PM
Rob Halgren

Matthew Donadio wrote:

"Ray" wrote in message

I have an opportunity to begin carrying a tank-type device that connects

to your hose bib, and that

feeds at a constant rate no matter what the flow or back pressure. Price

is likely to be less than

$100 for a unit capable of feeding at an adjustable 1000:1 to 100:1 and

holding several gallons of

concentrate.

If it would work at the end of a 100 ft hose fed from my house, then I would
buy one (not for my orchids, but for outdoor beds). I have tried siphon
feeders, but they don't work when a 100 ft hose is attached since the
pressure drop is too large.

I'm not a fluid dynamicist, nor do I play one on TV, but wouldn't it
work if you hooked up the siphon at the house end of the hose? May be a
bit more difficult to plumb than sticking it on the business end of the
hose, but once the solution is mixed it should stay mixed for the
duration of your 100' run, regardless of pressure drop.

Somebody tell me I'm nuts, and I'll believe you. Seems like a
simple solution though.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit

Old 22-04-2004, 06:05 PM
Dewitt

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 18:29:12 -0400, "Ray"
wrote:

Question for the gang:

We've often discussed and debated the utility of fertilizer proportioners ranging from hose-end
types to siphons to Dosatrons/Dose-matics.

I have an opportunity to begin carrying a tank-type device that connects to your hose bib, and that
feeds at a constant rate no matter what the flow or back pressure. Price is likely to be less than
$100 for a unit capable of feeding at an adjustable 1000:1 to 100:1 and holding several gallons of
concentrate.

Do you think there would be a value in them? I feel quite certain that if they had been available
before I bought my dosing pumps, I'd have gone with these instead - heck, I mix 5 gallons of
fertilizer concentrate for a 100:1 pump now, you think I'd mind doing so 40% more often to save
$300????

Thanks for your input.

Ray, is this system similar to the EZ-Gro (aka EZ-Flo) fertilizer
system found on http://www.mrdrip.com/ezflofert.htm ? I didn't find
the EZ-Gro unit I bought worthwhile. Water is continously added to
the tank as the fertilizer solution is drawn out. The manufacturer
claims that the added water floats on top the heavier fertilizer
solution, but that is clearly only a short term effect so the
fertilizer solution is diluted over time. Also, I found that the
output concentration (measured by a TDS meter) spiked upwards 3-4x
when the flow was stopped / started.

deg

Old 22-04-2004, 08:10 PM
Matthew Donadio

Rob Halgren wrote in message ...
I'm not a fluid dynamicist, nor do I play one on TV, but wouldn't
[a siphon feeder]
work if you hooked up the siphon at the house end of the hose? May be a
bit more difficult to plumb than sticking it on the business end of the
hose, but once the solution is mixed it should stay mixed for the
duration of your 100' run, regardless of pressure drop.

I have tried it with a Hozon siphon feeder attached to the hose-bib on
the house, and then a 100' hose attached to it, and this doesn't work
well. The problem is that siphon feeders work using Bernoulli's
principle (similar mixing fuel and air in a carburetor). A longer
hose attached to the feeder means there is more fluid drag which
results in pressure loss / velocity loss. As a result, the Bernoulli
effect is less pronounced, and less or no fertilizer concentrate gets
sucked into the stream.

--Matt
Old 22-04-2004, 11:09 PM
Ray

Interesting, Dewitt. The unit is very similar to the EZ-Gro, but I'd certainly want to test one
before going ahead.

Thanks for the warning.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 23-04-2004, 01:02 AM
Matthew Donadio

"Ray" wrote in message
That is the sort of question I specifically asked, and these particular

units function independent
of the pressure and flow.

If this is true, and you gave it your seal of approval, then I would
probably be interested in one.

--Matt

Old 23-04-2004, 04:07 AM
Matthew Donadio

"K Barrett" wrote in message
Can to be rigged for a more or less permanent install to PVC?

Most stores with a good supply of brass plumbing fittings should have
hose-thread to pipe-thread couplers. Home Depot should have them (I have
bought them there before). If you spend some some in the plumbing aisle,
you can pretty much figure out a way to connect anything to anything else,
and build in a shut-off while you're at it.

--Matt

No chemical algae killer Jon Ahlbin Ponds 7 11-01-2004 01:52 PM
Romanian Petro-Chemical, Oil & Gas Detailed Design [email protected] Plant Biology 0 01-06-2003 11:08 PM
Surefire no-chemical fix Joe Australia 0 26-05-2003 03:09 PM
Tree-killing chemical compound? Arsenio Oloroso Jr. Gardening 7 14-05-2003 07:32 AM
Chemical weeding arround young trees John Towill United Kingdom 2 26-02-2003 09:15 PM