GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Zygopetalum mackayi bloom time? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/601-zygopetalum-mackayi-bloom-time.html)

Caren 26-01-2003 10:55 PM

Zygopetalum mackayi bloom time?

I acquired a Zygopetalum mackayi about three years ago. I got it for
free from someone who had received it as a gift and then left it to
languish on her desk for a few months. It was near dead but after some
tender care it finally bloomed. It was beautiful, it was exotic, it
smelled heavenly, and it only bloomed for about two weeks. The orchids I
normally grow (mostly phals) bloom for months without quitting. I was
wondering if this short bloom time is normal or if it was shortened
because the plant was kept too warm. It was at normal home temperature
but I understand Zygopetalums prefer cooler temps. Also, now that the
plant has been brought back to health, can I expect regular bloom?

Thanks
--
Caren

Susan Erickson 27-01-2003 03:40 PM

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 06:55:52 +0900, Caren wrote:

I acquired a Zygopetalum mackayi about three years ago. I got it for
free from someone who had received it as a gift and then left it to
languish on her desk for a few months. It was near dead but after some
tender care it finally bloomed. It was beautiful, it was exotic, it
smelled heavenly, and it only bloomed for about two weeks. The orchids I
normally grow (mostly phals) bloom for months without quitting. I was
wondering if this short bloom time is normal or if it was shortened
because the plant was kept too warm. It was at normal home temperature
but I understand Zygopetalums prefer cooler temps. Also, now that the
plant has been brought back to health, can I expect regular bloom?

Thanks

If you bloomed it once I would expect you to be able to bloom it
again. A few plants will bloom just before dying. But this does
not sound like a dying plant. Yes, Zygos have a fairly short
bloom time. It can be extended if the plant has several spikes
and does not open the flowers all the same day. As the plant gets
larger you will get leads going off other locations and multiple
spikes. As much as I love the exotic look and the heavy perfume,
the perfume wears on my allergies and I are happy the blooms do
not last.

SuE

Caren 30-01-2003 01:37 PM

Zygopetalum mackayi bloom time?

Wendy wrote:

Hi Caren, I grow my zygo's with my cymbidiums outside (zone 9/10?) They like
the night time coolness & morning sun (have shade cloth for the heat of the
day). I love their fragrance too & bring them in when blooming, near a
window for fresh air. Glad I am not allergic to orchids fragrances. I would
guess bloom time to be about 3wks.
Cheers Wendy

Oh, to have orchids outside year around! Unfortunately I'm in zone 5, was five
below the other day and I've probably lost my rosemary, the asters, and a
couple of roses this winter. I do keep the orchids outside in the light shade
of a pin oak during the summer. They seem to appreciate it.

--
Caren

Caren 30-01-2003 03:59 PM

Susan Erickson wrote in message . ..

If you bloomed it once I would expect you to be able to bloom it
again. A few plants will bloom just before dying. But this does
not sound like a dying plant. Yes, Zygos have a fairly short
bloom time. It can be extended if the plant has several spikes
and does not open the flowers all the same day. As the plant gets
larger you will get leads going off other locations and multiple
spikes. As much as I love the exotic look and the heavy perfume,
the perfume wears on my allergies and I are happy the blooms do
not last.

That heavy perfume is part of what makes this orchid so attractive to
me. I've never grown a scented orchid before but I think I may buy a
couple more because it was so nice to walk into the room and smell
orchids.

--
Caren

Wendy 30-01-2003 05:13 PM

profpam 30-01-2003 11:45 PM

Zygopetalum mackayi bloom time?

Zygopetalum mackayi has a very heavy fragrance in the morning. This one
is easy to grow; however, it needs a cooling down period to bloom. To
accomplish this, place it outside when temperatures are in the low 50's,
or grow it outside. SBOE considers it a companion plant that can be
grown outside -- this depends on your locality, of course. Mine usually
blooms in October/November; however, it can bloom again in the spring.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html