Old 27-01-2003, 10:29 PM
Damien Schaeffer

Default Dend. anosmum and superbum ??

hello,

what's the diffrence between this 2 species of dendrobium : anosmum &
superbum ?
Wich are there culture conditions ?

Thanks

Damien

Old 28-01-2003, 06:08 AM
solo_voyager

Hi Damien:
I've seen where some think D. superbum is a subspecies of D. anosmum,
but the general consensus seems to be that they are one and the same,
similar to D. aphyllum = pierardii, D. dalhousieanum = pulchellum and
the list can go on.

D. anosmums come from a wide variety of habitats but in general they
do require a mildly drier cooler winter rest. Supposedly, winter night
temps going below 60*F can inhibit blossom formation for some,
probably those that originate from warmer low altitude habitats. My 4
plants (2 mature & 2 juvinal) do very well at normal year round
household temperatures with moderately drier winter conditions.
S V

Old 30-01-2003, 01:22 AM
Dave

I have Den.. superbum and give it a rest during Nov and Dec leaving it
outside except when the temperature drops below 32. It blooms beautifully.
When I purchased it I was told they need some cold weather to bloom.

Old 30-01-2003, 02:31 AM
Dave Lockwood

The taxonomy of orchids is really strange. It has always been by
understanding is that a species is separated from another by the fact that
they cannot interbreed. If this is the case then there must be only, what,
twelve species? Then again, I don't understand Quantum Mechanics or the
infield fly rule either ;-)
Dave

Old 30-01-2003, 06:07 PM
Tracey

When I purchased it I was told they need some cold
weather to bloom.

Hmmm, I wonder what is considered 'cold weather' because
they do great here in Hawaii and the coldest it will
have gotten where I live is low 60's.

To the OP: I received a copy of culture instructions when
I bought one of mine (I have 3 Den. Superbums and 1 basket
of a hybrid) and it's covered on both sides with month by
month instructions. Honestly, it seemed too time intensive
for me to follow them so I'm treating them like I treat the
others (which is, put them on the back lanai and water and
fertilize occasionally ) and they're all seemingly doing
fine, with long canes and lots of leaves. I'm supposed to
cut all of the leaves off this month, in preparation for
them to bloom in February or March. I *could* dig it out
for you and type it all in if you're that interested.

Tracey