GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   neem oil (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/614-neem-oil.html)

molly malone 28-01-2003 06:15 PM

neem oil

hi all,

any recommendations on where to purchase neem oil? i live in greater
seattle area.
noticed a lot of website touting neem seed oil and neem leaf
oil....assuming the seed oil offers the better organic antiseptic,
antifungal, antibacterial properties?
thanks,
'molly malone'

Debra Lewis 29-01-2003 01:37 AM

neem oil

I recently found a product at Home Depot called Garden Safe Fungicide
3, made by Schultz. It is marketed as a fungicide, insecticide and
miticide, all in one. The active ingredient is 0.9% Clarified
Hydrophobic Extract of Neem Oil and 99.1% inert ingredients.

I have used it to kill a nasty case of armored scale on a small palm
plant. Also for boisduval scale and mealies on a few orchids. I just
tried it for bacterial brown spot on a Vanda.

So far so good. . . . no more insects and the orchids don't seem to be
damaged. The Vanda appears to be growing a new leaf and no additional
brown spots.

Hope this helps!
Debra

molly malone 29-01-2003 01:56 AM

neem oil

tx, i saw the same @ home depot this past wkend...wondered what the 99.1%
inert ingredients meant?!?!

Bruce Sinclair 29-01-2003 05:49 AM

neem oil

In article k.net, "molly malone" wrote:
tx, i saw the same @ home depot this past wkend...wondered what the 99.1%
inert ingredients meant?!?!

... probably water :)

Bruce

Oook !
NOTE remove the not_ from the address to reply. NO SPAM !

Ray @ First Rays Orchids 29-01-2003 10:57 AM

neem oil

For the most part, I warn people away from products that are not pure neem
oil. For one, you're probably paying more for less active ingredient,
azadaractin (someone want to help with the spelling?), which should be at
least 1500 ppm in good quality oil. The second caveat being that those
"inerts" are likely to be oils of some sort, which can be damaging to the
plants.

Yeah, neem oil is an oil, but they're not all created equal, and the
petroleum oil diluents can be bad actors.

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

hlink.net...

kenwoodward 29-01-2003 08:57 PM

neem oil

At least one of the inert ingredients seems to be alcohol. I did use this
at one time in the past and it worked, but I decided that I could mix neem
oil and alcohol as easily as they could.
Ken Woodward
Newton, MA
http://kwoodward.net