Old 16-05-2004, 02:03 AM
Syona Rose Too

Default Mass/Drac

Hi ; I 've been reading the group for a while.I have a question. I have
a bunch of plants. Most are doing great.I have some Massdavilla an
Dracula's. With the temps climbing, I am not meeting the ideal for them.
I live in southern New York State. My question is ;Do I move the plants
(basement A/C unit) or just weather them over till August, when the
temps are better( as long as the plants stay happy)? Any input would be
appricated?
Thanks Fran C.

Old 16-05-2004, 02:04 AM
GrlIntrpted

Hiya,

I live in Brooklyn, the city, I keep my masds, and Dracs in the shadiest
spot in the backyard. Water, as often as twice a day when it's very dry.

Mariana

Old 16-05-2004, 04:05 PM
K Barrett

I live in California, in an area so dry that even *pictures* of masdevallias
wilt in the heat and I don't think I've *ever* lived in a house with a
basement, so take my comments with a healthy grain of salt. But. If I had
a basement A/C unit available to me I'd be tempted to use it IN SPITE of the
fact I know it WILL take much of the humidity out of the air. IMHO that
humidity could be added back, if one was dedicated.

And perhaps the basement is cool enough on its own anyway and wouldn't need
the A/C running/drying the air 24/7. You could check the basement with one
of those temp/humidity gauges that Radio Shack sells and see what the
average temp, humidity is in there anyway without the A/C running. It
*might* fall into proper range for some masds/dracs. The Radio Shack gauges
are not great but they'll give you some sort of data on which to base an
informed decision instead of wondering and guessing.

Which masds/dracs do you own? Some are more tolerant than others. Some are
picky b*st*rds that want what they want and will die instead of settling.
*G*. With proper orchid selection you may be able to get the basement to
work.

Come to think of it, though, if you used the basement you'd need some sort
of light set up, right? And usually 'light' means 'heat', which you are
trying to minimize, so the backyard may be a better solution

OK, I'll butt out now and allow people who know the area to tell me I'm full
of it and should shut up when I don't know what I'm talking about...

K Barrett