Old 21-05-2004, 02:04 PM
Janet Price

Default two budstalks from one growth

Hi,

I have a blc x ctna cross that has two budstalks emerging from the top
of the newest growth. Is this really unusual? I've never seen it
before. Both bud stalks look healthy and have multiple buds. It
doesn't seem to be a branching of a single bud stalk, but I suppose it
could be.

Also, my plan for putting a sort of burlap tent over the orchids on my
deck is working so far. I put big nails in the posts along the
railing--about 4 feet apart, put my benches up agains the railings and
then put some 6 ft tomato stakes in large pots filled with driveway
stones on the other side of the benches and opposite the posts. Then I
just attached the burlap to the nails and the spiked end of the
stakes. It's been fine for about 2 weeks now and so far seems to be
providing the right amount of protection. Since the stakes are a couple
feet higher than the railing, the burlap is at an angle facing south.
While it may come down if we have hail or a very strong windstorm, it's
holding up on normally windy days and in ordinary rain and thunderstorms.

I really like having them on my deck where I walk past them every day
and can notice immediately if there's a problem.

Janet Price
jkprice at amherst dot edu

Old 22-05-2004, 12:13 AM
Kenni Judd

It's certainly not the norm, but we have seen it happen. Makes for a nice
display.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids