GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Phal. corningiana (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/61897-phal-corningiana.html)

Dustin 22-05-2004 04:03 AM

Phal. corningiana

Phalaenopsis corninigiana, picture of the first flower

http://tinyurl.com/yvy5t

Dustin

Diana Kulaga 23-05-2004 07:18 AM

Phal. corningiana

That's a nice flower, Dustin. I love the coloration. Thanks for sharing....

Diana

unknown 23-05-2004 04:05 PM

Phal. corningiana

In article k.net,
"Diana Kulaga" wrote:

That's a nice flower, Dustin. I love the coloration. Thanks for sharing....

Diana

cool. i've always wanted one of those, and was thinking of trying to
order one from dowery, but i grow on a windowsill in maryland and am not
sure i wouldn't kill it.... the big husky hybrids do ok but i don't
know about a species. :(

--j_a

(oh, nice anemone on your website header. :)

Al 24-05-2004 06:03 PM

Phal. corningiana

That's pretty too. Almost solid red. A good one. Have you noticed a
fragrance? How would you describe it?

Those tinyurls are usefull.

Dustin 25-05-2004 01:03 AM

Phal. corningiana

I haven't noticed any fragrance. That flower was open for 12 days
before I was able to see it, so maybe its faded away by now.

Dustin

GrlIntrpted 25-05-2004 01:04 AM

Phal. corningiana

Lovely Dustin, as to the smell, they say that Phal mannii is fragrant, thus
far, I've not been able to pick up any scent, at any time of the day or
night :(

Mariana

Dustin 25-05-2004 01:05 AM

Phal. corningiana

Someone told me that after a few generations of breeding the fragrance
normally seen in a wild plant is lost. I have no idea if thats true
though.

Dustin

Al 25-05-2004 04:03 AM

Phal. corningiana

I got a few from Dowery that smelled very sweet and candy-like when the day
was very bright. It was a strong fragrance and hard to miss. Mine are not
nearly as solid red as yours.

Diana Kulaga 25-05-2004 11:13 PM

Phal. corningiana

Al, by the way, after I posted Phal. Melodious Bells x violacea to abpo you
asked about fragrance. I did as you suggested, and when the light is
highest it does have a slight aroma, very pleasant, but very faint.

Diana