Old 30-01-2003, 03:48 PM
David in Liverpool

Default Root pruning

I've just obtained a very large plant of angraecum eburneum var giryamae in
bark in an old clay pot. Leaves over 2 foot across and thick aerial roots
spreading out about the same distance making for a lot of bench space. A
couple of long flower spikes are nearly over. Can the roots be pruned back
hard and some of the older marked leaves removed? Wondering also if it would
be OK to give it more drastic treatment - removing from pot/bark mix, root
pruning and re-establishing either in basket or new pot?
Thanks..........David

Old 30-01-2003, 04:26 PM
Wendy

Welcome David in Liverpool. I did this to mine last year in the summer,
except I didn't trim any roots. I soaked the plant for a while to make the
roots pliable & potted in a large hangable plastic pot. (made extra drainage
holes) I used large chunks of bark & cork, a few pieces of hort. charcoal
for the mix.
A couple of the roots had nice green tips. (best time to repot). I left the
bottom nasty looking leaves, they yellowed & fell off anyway.
It is doing very well for me, two spikes, with buds all over which should be
opening any day now.
Cheers Wendy (who will post pics on the News Group)
alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Old 31-01-2003, 01:14 AM
Gareth Wills

Advice sounds good. When monopodials have good aerial roots and top growth,
they can be clipped off at the base and placed wherever (comparable to
repotting). Soaking roots in advance is important because it minimizes
damage to them when you're careful (or even not so). You're very lucky to
get such a specimen and not have ot wait a decade for it. Respect it, and
take care.
Gary