Old 23-05-2004, 07:20 AM
theoneflasehaddock

Default Armored scale?

Just wondering, because of my new orchid, a Miltassia entering quarantein, from
a relatives collection, which is, of course, covered in armored scale, and has
been since they got it at home depot two years ago. I am planning on trying
isoprapanol alcohol first. For now, the plant is staying outdoors, and it will
be out untill the pest is gone (then it will be kept in a 10 gallon tank away
from other plants). Anyone here have successful experience ridding a plant of
those horrible things?
The particular plant is very vigorous... to the point where it has 5 new
growths forming, despite the damned scale.
theoneflasehaddock
Old 23-05-2004, 01:04 PM
Ray

One of the more effective ways to rid a plant of armored scale is a soft toothbrush dipped in a
liquid soap/alcohol solution.

Alcohol by itself is unlikely to do a complete job.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 23-05-2004, 09:05 PM
profpam

If the alcohol solution does not work, you might try Volck Oil.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

Kenni Judd wrote:

If the plant is severely infested, you will also need to repot and wash the
roots.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

Subject: Armored scale?
From: "Ray"
Date: 5/23/2004 6:24 AM Central Daylight Time
One of the more effective ways to rid a plant of armored scale is a soft
toothbrush dipped in a
liquid soap/alcohol solution.

Alcohol by itself is unlikely to do a complete job.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

-

. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 23-05-2004, 09:05 PM
V_coerulea

Alcohol works when used with a surfactant. I prefer 409 Orange. I mix 1 pint
409 orange with 1 pint of isopropanol in a gallon jug and add enough water
to fill it up. The orange may have nothing to do with the efficacy of this
mix, but it does make it nice to work with. A thorough spraying usually
results in near 100% kill. Of course, the 1 or 2 that escape need to be
dealt with either individually or with a second spray. And you may have to
unpot and remove the media in order to get those on the underside of the
rhizome. You were going to repot anyway, right?
Gary

[...]

The Definitive Chord & Scale Bible - Literally EVERY chord and scale! Dances_With_Ferrets Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 09-02-2005 03:33 AM
Suggestions on large-scale compost-making??? Joe Jamies Gardening 3 17-03-2003 03:20 PM
[IBC] Pest Management. Was [IBC] Scale Help Jerry Meislik Bonsai 0 10-03-2003 04:56 PM
Scale SamMan Orchids 3 03-03-2003 09:53 PM
[IBC] Scale Ben Griffin Bonsai 0 31-01-2003 05:16 PM