GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Slightly OTand X-post: ID needed (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/62164-slightly-otand-x-post-id-needed.html)

Reka 25-05-2004 05:19 PM

Slightly OTand X-post: ID needed

I asked once a long time ago, but got no positive ID. Does anyone know
which orchid this is?

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/Orchids/stamps/bo62a.jpg

Thanks,
--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

---

Eric Hunt 25-05-2004 06:09 PM

Slightly OTand X-post: ID needed

Reka,

The scan is very small - it's hard for me to be positive, but I don't think
it's an orchid at all.

-Eric ni SF

TQPL 26-05-2004 12:03 PM

Slightly OTand X-post: ID needed

Hi Reka,

I think you will find it is Sprekelia
formosissima.(Amaryllidaceae)
Bolivia 1962.
Regards
Alan

"Reka" wrote in message
Well, that could explain the problems I have had

getting an ID! Thanks,
--
Reka

I don't
think
it's an orchid at all.

-Eric ni SF

Reka 26-05-2004 05:12 PM

Slightly OTand X-post: ID needed

Thanks, Alan, I have now taken it out of my collection. Do you collect
stamps, too?

Rob Zuiderwijk 26-05-2004 06:07 PM

Slightly OTand X-post: ID needed

Hello Reka,

I'm afraid that it's not an orchid. It is a Sprekelia formosissima. This
plant originates from Mexico and grows up to about 40 cm high. It grows from
a bulb and is, at least here in The Netherlands, in the spring readily
available in the garden centres.

I hope this answers your question.

All the best,

Rob Zuiderwijk