Old 01-02-2003, 02:22 AM
Ted Byers

Default Dendrobium himezakura sanokku

I just picked up a specimen of this, and another nobile type
dendrobium; and have some questions.

Do these produce keikis? On the himezura, on the old cane, there are
two new growths, that are clearly not inflorescences, coming out of
two of the nodes. The very tips of these growths look like nascent
leaves. Am I right in guessing that these are keikis? At present,
they are each about 2 cm in length. I am happy with this specimen
because, even though there are only two canes, and only the larger of
the two has leaves, there are inflorescences growing out of each of
more than a dozen nodes, and there are plenty of leaves on the younger
cane. The other doesn't have nearly as many inflorescences
developing, but it has two new canes, and all but the oldest of the
canes have plenty of leaves.

How do the cultural requirements for nobile dendrobiums compare with
those for PODs? (think acronym: POD = plain ol' dendrobium :-), if
it isn't too obscene to refer to an orchid as plain :-) ) Will they
like a south facing window in the frigid north? :-)

Also, I notice on the tag for hamezakura that it is patented by some
company in Hawaii. I didn't know there was such a thing as patents on
species or races of plants. What is your take on patenting living
things?

Cheers,

Ted
Old 01-02-2003, 03:55 AM
Tracey

Also, I notice on the tag for hamezakura that it is patented
by some company in Hawaii. I didn't know there was such a
thing as patents on species or races of plants.

Oh, yeah, this is not that new. Lots of the miniature roses
I used to buy were patented.

Tracey

Old 01-02-2003, 06:22 AM
Susan Erickson

On Sat, 01 Feb 2003 03:55:23 GMT, Tracey
wrote:

Also, I notice on the tag for hamezakura that it is patented
by some company in Hawaii. I didn't know there was such a
thing as patents on species or races of plants.

Oh, yeah, this is not that new. Lots of the miniature roses
I used to buy were patented.

Tracey

Tracey - Were not the patented ones hybrids?
SuE
Old 01-02-2003, 06:38 AM
Tracey

Tracey - Were not the patented ones hybrids?

Whoops. Of course they were. I'll go hang my head in
shame now....

Tracey

Old 01-02-2003, 07:33 PM
WNeptune

[...]

Himezakura is a Yamamoto hybrid nobile dendrobium, and several of these have
been patented.
All dendrobiums will make keikis, but when one sees many on nobiles it is due
to too much N, or not enough sunlight.
One parent of this grex was Cassiope, made with Oberon, in 1995, which was made
using moniliforme, back in 1890, so this alters the cultural requirements
considerably, making it a nobile type, but not demanding the intense cold and
drying in the fall and winter of the standard nobile.
This is in keeping with Yamamoto's efforts in recent years to develope nobile
types which are smaller and more adaptable to growing conditions.

Old 04-02-2003, 01:06 AM
Ted Byers

Himezakura is a Yamamoto hybrid nobile dendrobium, and several of these have
been patented.
All dendrobiums will make keikis, but when one sees many on nobiles it is due
to too much N, or not enough sunlight.
One parent of this grex was Cassiope, made with Oberon, in 1995, which was made
using moniliforme, back in 1890, so this alters the cultural requirements
considerably, making it a nobile type, but not demanding the intense cold and
drying in the fall and winter of the standard nobile.
This is in keeping with Yamamoto's efforts in recent years to develope nobile
types which are smaller and more adaptable to growing conditions.

I went back (because I noticed when I got it home that it had no tag)
and found out that the other one I had bought is also a Yamamoto
hybrid called spring dreams 'Apollon': there were several other
specimens of this there, properly labelled, but in relatively poor
shape. I would assume that this has rather similar requirements to
Himezakura.

Now, when you say that it doesn't demand an intense cold, dry period,
do you mean that its deciduous habit is facultative, and that if I
keep it warm and keep watering at the normal rate it will keep going,
but if I let it experience a cool dry period it will display the
deciduous habit; like the deciduous phals? Or would I end up killing
it if I let it see a cool, dry period.

How do you think it would fair in a south window in southern Ontario?

Cheers,

Ted
Old 04-02-2003, 02:36 PM
WNeptune

Now, when you say that it doesn't demand an intense cold, dry period,
do you mean that its deciduous habit is facultative, and that if I
keep it warm and keep watering at the normal rate it will keep going,
but if I let it experience a cool dry period it will display the
deciduous habit; like the deciduous phals? Or would I end up killing
it if I let it see a cool, dry period.

How do you think it would fair in a south window in southern Ontario?

Cheers,

Ted

I personally manage all of these like standard nobiles, however, the big
advantage for them is that if they have a drop in temperature in the fall that
they then can be placed in a warm, int, or cool room and they will flower.
Moreover, they can be watered during this period. They will still lose their
leaves like any nobile, either before, during, or shortly after flowering.
Old 04-02-2003, 11:33 PM
WNeptune

Now, when you say that it doesn't demand an intense cold, dry period,
do you mean that its deciduous habit is facultative, and that if I
keep it warm and keep watering at the normal rate it will keep going,
but if I let it experience a cool dry period it will display the
deciduous habit; like the deciduous phals? Or would I end up killing
it if I let it see a cool, dry period.

How do you think it would fair in a south window in southern Ontario?

Cheers,

Ted

These are deciduous plants and will lose their leaves regardless of how you
grow them.
Flowering is probably initiated by the drop in temperature.
Flowering occurs on two year old growth, which is after maturity, and
frequently will rebloom the third year.
Yamamoto will grow these to maturity and obtain flowers on one year old
growth-but, this is done by growing at sea level in Hawaii to maturity and then
transporting to the mountains for a drop in temperature and getting flowers on
the first year's growth. This does not occur in nature and you will not be able
to do it in Canada. You can easily check this on Yamamoto imports as the
flowers are on current years growth.
You will do better if you put the plants outdoors in full sun for spring,
summer, and fall, and then bring inside to that south facing window with
SUNSHINE for winter.

Old 06-02-2003, 01:39 AM
Ted Byers

These are deciduous plants and will lose their leaves regardless of how you
grow them.
Flowering is probably initiated by the drop in temperature.
Flowering occurs on two year old growth, which is after maturity, and
frequently will rebloom the third year.
Yamamoto will grow these to maturity and obtain flowers on one year old
growth-but, this is done by growing at sea level in Hawaii to maturity and then
transporting to the mountains for a drop in temperature and getting flowers on
the first year's growth. This does not occur in nature and you will not be able

Thanks again.

Just to be sure I understand this, the older canes will produce new
leaves and flowers after each cold, dry spell. Is that right? When
do they put out new canes, and is there anything that canbe done to
stimulate the production of new canes? I ask because the himezakura
doesn't have a new cane. Rather, it has three older canes, the
youngest having bloomed at least once before, but is covered in
inflorescences. The second youngest has only a couple leaves and two
keikis, and the oldest, scarely more than 1 cm long, has nothing on
it. The spring dream, though, has two clearly new canes that are
actively growing and apparently have never bloomed (and neither has
any inflorescences), and one middle aged cane that has a decent number
of inflorescences, and two old canes that have nothing on them
(although one might have had but had recently been broken off at a
height of about 3 cm). And on this one too, the oldest canes is
scarcely more than 1 cm long.

Thanks,

Ted
Old 06-02-2003, 04:52 PM
WNeptune

[...]

Deciduous canes will not grow new leaves. In a well grown plant, a flowering
cane will frequently bloom a second time, the next season, but not as well as
the first time.
New growth comes from mature canes that are flowering or have recently
flowered, and will flower in the second year. Canes which grew this year will
bloom next year.

Old 10-02-2003, 05:26 PM
Gideon Singer

On Thu, 6 Feb 2003 16:52:52 UTC, (WNeptune) wrote:

[...]

Wil it is good to see your posts again and just to add to the pot I
have a Dendrobium Spring Dream 'Apollon' which blooms almost every
year on the old canes. The plant at
http://gideonsinger.ca/orchid%20pict...brids/index.ht
ml has bloomed on the old canes for three years. It's down neat the
bottom of the index.
--
Gideon Singer
In Beautiful Vancouver BC