Old 27-05-2004, 04:13 AM
Richard Silverstein

Default slc wendy's valentine 'june'/ growing conditions

My wendy's valentine isn't too happy & I'd like some help in getting
it the care mine needs. Right now, it doesn't look terribly
healthy--not sick, just not happy. The leaves are a bit puckered like
the skin of an older person. It's not growing very fast if at all &
not putting out much new growth. I must be doing something wrong, but
I'd like to know what.

Right now, I water about 1x per wk. I fertilize every other wk. w. a
generic orchid mix. It gets a moderate amt. of direct sun (easterly
exposure), but I try to put my window shade down most of the day so it
won't get burnt. I'm using a med. size bark growth medium.

Can anyone point to a website that describes the care this plant
likes?
Old 27-05-2004, 11:08 AM
Ray

I believe that if you treat it like a typical cattleya - culture info is available all over the
place: AOS, my site, etc. - that it ought to do fine. That would include more light, too. AN
unfiltered eastern exposure is not too much, so you're surely giving it to little/

Moreover, the puckered skin syndrome suggests that you might have a root health issue. If you
haven't done so in a while, I'd suggest unpotting the plant to check, then repot into fresh medium.
Also, if you're watering on a schedule, rather than when the plant needs more water, that could
contribute to the issue.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
om...

Old 27-05-2004, 03:07 PM
Reka

"Ray" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I believe that if you treat it like a typical cattleya - culture info is

available all over the
place: AOS, my site, etc. - that it ought to do fine. That would include

more light, too. AN
unfiltered eastern exposure is not too much, so you're surely giving it to

little/

Moreover, the puckered skin syndrome suggests that you might have a root

health issue. If you
haven't done so in a while, I'd suggest unpotting the plant to check, then

repot into fresh medium.
Also, if you're watering on a schedule, rather than when the plant needs

more water, that could
contribute to the issue.

That was my problem. Mine sulked until I took it out of the mix it was in
and gave it an airier one. It looks much better already, just a few months
later.
--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

---

Old 28-05-2004, 10:03 PM
William Hill

(Richard Silverstein) wrote in message . com...
My wendy's valentine isn't too happy & I'd like some help in getting
it the care mine needs. Right now, it doesn't look terribly
healthy--not sick, just not happy. The leaves are a bit puckered like
the skin of an older person. It's not growing very fast if at all &
not putting out much new growth. I must be doing something wrong, but
I'd like to know what.

Right now, I water about 1x per wk. I fertilize every other wk. w. a
generic orchid mix. It gets a moderate amt. of direct sun (easterly
exposure), but I try to put my window shade down most of the day so it
won't get burnt. I'm using a med. size bark growth medium.

Can anyone point to a website that describes the care this plant
likes?

Hi Richard, Grow in about Phal light; plant in medium grade mix
(cocoanut, charcoal, perlite etc.) Your problem is watering 1 time per
week--Oncidiinae don't like to dry out--water 2 times per week (in a
finer mix) water 1 time with clear water & 1 time with 1/4 teaspoon of
fertilizer to the gallon of water. That plant is 1/2 Miltoniopsis so I
wouldn't let it get too hot !! Check our site at
www.orchidislandorchids.com --I don't have a "care page" on the site
yet (it's brand new) Most people who grow Cattleya & Dendrobiums &
then add oncidiinae tend to water like Cats. ---Cats want to dry out
Oncids DON'T. Hope this helps, Bill
Old 29-05-2004, 02:06 AM
Diana Kulaga

Would someone please send along the original post in this thread? What I am
seeing is outrageous, and if I could see what came before I might feel
differently.

Thank you.

Diana

Old 29-05-2004, 03:09 AM
Diana Kulaga

Take it back. I got it now. Some of the advice is still outrageous,
though. Catts and Ondidiums are hard to confuse with each other.

Old 29-05-2004, 11:06 PM
Kenni Judd

We've never had much success with this particular plant, so keep that in
mind as you evaluate such advice as I can give you. I've always figured it
wouldn't take our heat [our covered shadehouse is hotter than outside, or
even a shadehouse roofed only in shadecloth]. But it is quite possible that
I've been doing something else wrong ... and in your house, excess heat is
unlikely to be the problem.

Anyway, your plant sounds dehydrated. This could be from underwatering [my
vote] but if it is making new roots and growth, this wouldn't be a bad time
to repot, checking the root condition while you're at it. If, as I suspect,
you find few if any rotten roots but a lot that are shrivelled and dry, then
I would suggest you switch to a finer medium and/or water more often. Also,
I would cut back on feeding until it starts looking more vigorous.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids