Old 04-02-2003, 06:48 PM
Deborah F. Ryan

Default what a mess :(

Thank you Michael. Hopefully this 7" fan will be sufficient. And, you're
More than welcomed to get back On your soapbox anytime you wish ;^)
peace...
debbie

"michael exler" wrote in message
m...
Hi Debbie,
Air movement is a key element needed for most epiphytes.
Often over looked, it will solve a lot of problems such as root rot,
freezing, spider mites and low humidity.
Most of them (epiphytes) are attached to trees that recieve lots of wind

and
breeze,
allowing them to dry and keeping most nasties like fungus and bugs away.
Now I am not saying you need a wind tunnel, but there should not be any
stale air allowed for any length of time.
A simple fan will work at night, with more air movement during the day.
I'll get off my soapbox now.
thanks,
Michael

"Deborah F. Ryan" wrote in message
news
Could you be a little more specific with regards to air movement? We do
keep a fan going during the heat of July, but it never occurred to me

that
it would be necessary during the winter months. I'll surely keep in

mind
keep things sterile. So far what damaged leaves that needed to be

removed,
did by hand. Probably not a good thing, huh? Thanks for taking the

time.
really appreciate it.
peace...
debbie

"michael exler" wrote in message
m...
I get the impression you have very little air movement in your

greenhouse?
This alone will give you lots of problems.
next would to better insulate the door.
As far as the plants the damage is done, just watch them close for

signs
of
rot and remove it quickly so it does not spread to the rest of the

plant.
Remember to sterilize any tools and open cuts you make.
In particular Phal's will quickly show damage to leaves, so try to

protect
the crown from any spreading rot caused by freezing.
Michael

"Deborah F. Ryan" wrote in message
Folks, I've been reading through old posts hoping that I could find

the
answer (if there is one) to no avail. We only have about a dozen

orchids.
All in our little greenhouse which has managed to keep an average

internal
temp of 60*f (NW Indiana) and all on the same self-watering tray

they
have
been on for several years. The only difference this year, was they

were
moved closer to the door. Obviously, a Really bad move on my part

Despite the temp being well above freezing, every pot froze solid to

the
mat
and the plants look just awful. They were immediately moved to the
highest
shelf (as close to the heating source as possible), but it's been

nearly
week and they aren't looking any better. At this point, would

bringing
them
indoors Really do them in, or just leave them were they are? Talk

about
feeling sick...
Thanks in advance!
peace...debbie

Old 04-02-2003, 06:50 PM
Deborah F. Ryan

Gene, I give you my word, I'm going to get right on this. Boy, have I Ever
leaned my lesson! Excellent point you make of the about the effects of
breeze too. Hopefully it will perk up the other tropicals Just in time for
Spring vbs
peace...
debbie

"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Deborah,

I keep my two fans running 24 hours a day. There are times it feels like

hurracane in my Greenhouse but it does really help.

The plants get tougher too because of the natural air movement they have

in
nature.

About the only time I turn the fans off is when I'm working out there on a
sunny day and I want it to be quiet or want to listen to music.

Good Luck ... I hope your plants can recover.

Gene